Curious - would bankline, work as a makeshift candle wick/

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Isn't it nylon cord that is tarred? In which case it would be unsuitable for a wick. Sisal or hemp cord would be better for that job.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
One bloody evil cold night camping in a 2 man tent next to a lake my fishing partner Bob and myself were freezing our asses off......we had no heater and all we had for a stove was a Kelly Kettle!! Not much use in a tent!
I decided to make a makeshift McGyver Heater. All I had was a tin of tuna in oil ( leftover from lunch, didn't fancy eating two tins) .... and no wick! I cut about 2 inches off my shoelace including the nylon hard end bit ( what is that thing called???) and using my knife cut a small X in the top into which I pushed the shoelace wick ( Pretty sure it was cotton not synthetic) then made sure it was coated with the fish smelling veg oil and lit it......once it was trimmed it to about half an inch it burned very well indeed and threw out a surprising amount of Heat and light. OK, it was smokey, but NOT fishy smelling, well I don't remember it being.. and I am sure it was a lifesaver as my fishing partner had to go for a pee and he said it made it a good 15 degrees or more warmer in the tent than outside... it was well below zero as there was a hard frost that night

It was, a stroke of Genius.. or so I was told!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE