Cured smoked beef...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I've already made a smoke box and a woodburner just for the purpose... next time I'm near a B&Q or similar I'll grab some ally flexi tube to duct the smoke from one to the other.

I'll not be doing beef at first... I've been looking for a supplier of some proper long life bacon for a bit and not found anything locally, guess it's time to make my own... my nextdoor neighbour is a slaughterman, so I can ask him to find me a couple of likely pork bellies which I'll dry cure and then smoke.

I'll make a little photo diary of it if I have time.

Have you got a copy of Keith Erlandson's book lannyman?

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Ohhh, tis gonna be great! I can just about taste it from the pics... infact I think I may start selling keyboards on here as you're creating a market with folk drooling into theirs ;)

I was at a Lakeland Plastics shop and saw they're doing great guns on selling smokers, it must be this summers BBQ thang... course they'll be hot smoke and I think most BCers are loving the DIY OTC (On the cheap!) method a la lannyman :)

We just let lannyman do the development and testing, if he stops posting then we'll all be worrying ;)

I'm in the woods the week before I need the beef so might ask if I can hang it over the fire, under the communal tarp for a coupla days after the brine stages... actually I might need to do 2 to make sure at least 1 makes it to my birthday bash meet :)

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ha ha ha ha ha...lol.....

i do seam to live on here, its my wishful bushcrafting, instead of being out that is....:(

£74:99 that would do a Scotland trip for me, the other way is to put some empty bean tins into a big pan, to rest your meat on, bung some wood chips or sawdust in the bottom put it on a very low heat, and tinfoil the top, all for a sumley price of about £0:50....

awesome.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Been thinking about making one of these smokers myself from a couple of garden incinerators.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Parasene-Euro-Incinerator-inch-Tapered/dp/B001Q0VF34/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lp_5

Nice n cheap, use one the right way up for the fire and hot smoke, the other upside down with the lid sealed on and a door cut in it to access the pre-installed smoking racks, connected with the ol' foil flexi ducting. Get a couple of racks made up/bought to fit inside on hooks or brackets, then seal the lid on there with foil heatproof tape, turn it upside down, make some longer legs to keep it high enough off the ground to accept the ducting and you're pretty much done for a few quid.

Forgot to add, nice site you found there TurboGirl. :D

Si

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Americans smoke meat and fish a heck of a lot more than we in the UK do, well worth looking at some sites for tips and ideas.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Argghhh, I'm SUCH a slacker!!! I forgot to order it so ended up pot roasting a brisket flat then nuking it over the fire for a texan style meat. It wasn't anywhere near as good as your smoked meat looks and sounds, I need to finish some UFOs (UnFinishedObjects ;)) and practice some of this!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Argghhh, I'm SUCH a slacker!!! I forgot to order it so ended up pot roasting a brisket flat then nuking it over the fire for a texan style meat...

Texan style??? Then I was in Texas we always smoked brisket; usually over mesquite but occassionally with hickory. get it just right and it'll have a beautiful smoke ring.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Texan style??? Then I was in Texas we always smoked brisket; usually over mesquite but occassionally with hickory. get it just right and it'll have a beautiful smoke ring.
Ah well I'm an english lass who has no idea, luckily serving a bunch of semi-drunk blokes who luckily also had no idea and even less care as long as it didn't involve 'garden' ;) *blushes*

mark oriel

Bushcraft company
Just done another batch of dry cure belly pork, well it is still in the salt cure. All I do is sheet bone the belly and use that for spare ribs. Trim off any loose flaps of meat that could possibly prevent the salt getting a liberal dosing. The cure mix I use is 2lb of salt, one lb of sugar and a desert spoon of ground black pepper, I mixed it all up then rub a dub dub. Then with the trimmed belly put in the curing box, anything other than metal! When the meat was weighed after boning it was 6lb in weight, so it will stay in the pan for up to 9 days, well 7 to 9 days, day and a half per pound. I lift one edge of the box up to allow the brine that is produced to run to a corner. Over the next few days keep adding the mix and if I run out I just add salt after that. Wash down well with cold water, dry with kitchen roll then wipe with apple cider vinegar and hang in a well ventilated open area for at least a month, plenty of air flow and keep cool. Hey presto, I don't normally smoke but with all the good publicity I am tempted to start with the patches and work up to full on smoking.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
...The cure mix I use is 2lb of salt, one lb of sugar and a desert spoon of ground black pepper, I mixed it all up then rub a dub dub.....wipe with apple cider vinegar and hang in a well ventilated open area for at least a month...
That sounds easier than any sane person would want to admit... and no need for salt petre either? Excellent! Is there a pic of the finished meat please? And one when you've smoked too :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE