Cuben FiberAny

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Anyone here made kit from or used kit made from Cuben Fiber?

IMG_4646.jpg

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=14

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuben_Fiber

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I almost bought a tarptent in Cuben Rik but fears over durability and wind noise made me opt for silnylon instead. If i was doing a thruhike i would consider it as the weight savings are astounding but for general bushcraft duties i couldnt justify it. The fact that they are pretty all USA based makers put me off too as its pricey enough without the import VAT.

The best offerings i found were MLD, Zpacks and Bearpaw

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I was listening to a podcast of the outdoors station the other day.

Bob was interviewing the guy that owns gossamer gear, the subject of Cuban tarps came up and apparently there is a bit of an issue with the fact that the material doesn't stretch at all so it has to be strengthened in places and if it not done correctly then it could lead to ruining your tarp.

But I guess that's applicable to most things!!

Still wouldn't stope buying 1 though lol

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
All I've got are a few stuff sacks, keep adding some fabric to my basket on zpacks but then manage to resist at checkout. I fancy having a go at making a tarp and/or bivy

Matt

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
That solomid look lovely! Have you used it much JAG? Happy with it?

As does Shewies 4S tarp!

Must resist...
Used it loads and love it, Stands up to the worst Scottish weather can fling at it ,small but does the job when going ultra light ......................I am going to get the duomid for that bit more room at not much more weight

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I've got an MLD poncho tarp, a Bora Gear Bivy and a few stuff sacks. I also have a Terra Nova Ultra 20 pack that is made from Terra Nova "Ultra" fabric but it's Cuben as far as I can see. I agree about the lack of stretch making pitching not so easy as say silnylon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE