Crusader mug with meths burner / Trangia set combo?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
I was just about to order the Swedish army Trangia set when I discovered the Tatonka meths burner as an alternative which comes with a compact steel stand. I was thinking I could just put my crusader mug on that but found a thread saying that does not work that well as the mug is oval and the stand is built for round pans so the mug can fall off.

I then go to thinking about the crusader base unit / wind shield. Does anyone know if that could be used with a meths burner rather than the hexi or gel it is intended for? I would guess it is not deep enough to take the burner but could it be adapted? Anyone tried it?

Also related to this mix'n'matching - does anyone know if a crusader mug happens to fit the SA Trangia base...?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
The Tatonka legs can be bent with a pair of pliers to suit the Crusader mug. It works well enough as long as you have a wind shield.

The Crusader base unit can take a small redbull stove...but to be honest it's not worth doing. Just use hexy and accept its limitations...

Simon

sdf234

Apr 18, 2009
Dixie
The well of the Crusader cooker is not big enough to take a Trangia burner (commercial or military). Even if it was I don't think it would be a great setup because there would only be a little bit of room between the mug and the burner so your boil time and efficency would not be so good. Some people have made their homemade alcohol stoves to go in the Crusader cooker from small diameter aluminium drink cans though.

The Crusader mug can be used in the military Trangia windshield. However, the time to boil will be longer than if you were using a Swedish mess kit set on it since the Crusader mug a has a smaller surface area than the mess kit, thus also making for decreased fuel efficency.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I use the crusader with a modified US cup holder, and a full size Pepsi can stove, works almost as well as a trangia.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I tested this for someone last year and ended up using tent pegs to hold hte crusader cup off the cooker with a meths burner in the cooker part

Meths burner installed!

Without the pegs it's a close fit

With pegs you end up with enough clearance to get a good heat going

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
The normal size drinks can meths stoves fit in the round hole of the crusader stove; well mine does :) and I lined it in thin leather to insulate it from the cold metal.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I made a red bull stove to fit in the well of my crusader cooker.
I made the jets so they would burn in an oval pattern to fit the base of the mug.
The set up worked quite well.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I use the Crusader base unit with green alcohol gel. Works fine and saves me a lot of trouble...

That gel's OK if it's warm enough, but absolutely useless if it's cold. I use a mini can stove in mine, works well for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE