Crown Of Shyness

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Went for a walk today and took these photos and it occurred to me that some might be interested to see what the crown of shyness looks like in a tropical rainforest.

The crown of shyness refers to the phenomenon of the crown of canopy trees not interlocking in a tangle but keeping their distance. In northern forests with fewer species it seems this is principally due to abrasion caused by wind but I am told it is not so clear in the tropics where there are many more species and some studies suggest wind is not a factor or not the only factor.

Here are photos of the underside of the canopy of some tall trees from different vantage points. The trees are similar in height and mature.

P7050401Medium.jpg

P7050402Medium.jpg

P7050403Medium.jpg

P7050404Medium.jpg

P7050405Medium.jpg

P7050406Medium.jpg

P7050407Medium.jpg

With a canopy like that the forest floor was quite open and easy to walk through

Here is a canopy with trees of varying heights

P7050412Medium.jpg

Here is the crown of some medium trees that have not established themselves. They are on a slope and the canopy is not the same height.

P7050408Medium.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's really cool, it's like an aerial view of a rainforest with the river running through it, is there any reason it's called the Crown of Shyness?

I was just thinking the same, looks like a satellite shot with huge river networks disecting it.

Great pics BOD

Crowd of Shyness because the foliage shys away from it's neighbour ?

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
That's just lovely!

After reading many of your posts, I've always wanted to ask you BOD, do you live there permanently?

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
wow, never even knew there is something like that. must remember to look up some times when I'm on a bimble.

thanks for sharing!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
just as the others said, that is stunning. I've never seen a photo specifically of that before.

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
Very weird pictures, the 3, 4, & 5 look like B&W images of a crusted lava lake. If you take away the actual tree trunks then it looks very much like lava

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE