crook knives

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
Hi,

im about to buy a crook knife for spoons / bowls and a couple of log style bird boxes. The thing is im confused which one to get
i was looking at a mora (dont want to get into a big debate about quality etc i have read the previous thread)

my question is can anyone describe the differences between the numbers
162, 163 etc

i used one on a course to make a spoon (cant recall which one)

do i need a double edge or not

can someone offer some bumf behind them before i cough up some cash?

cheers in advance

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Sorry dude, thats as far as my knowledge of the mora spoon knives goes, I use a right handed knife by another maker, I find it easier the have the cutting edge facing me and pull to make my cuts with my right hand,

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My input, for what it is worth, is to avoid the double-edged ones if this is your first crook knife. The technique involved in using them is different to an ordinary blade, and to put it simply, 2 edges means twice the chance of cutting yourself. I like to be able to press the back of the blade if I have to when things get a bit tricky.

Others may disagree.

yes double edge are good but not the frosts they need a long handle so you can use 2 hands which needs the work to be held down the frosts are also very wide so dont turn very well

these are only a little bit wider than a frost double edge spoon tho a lot longer ( 4" blade

Dsc_6102.jpg

the top one hollows very well but more bowl size and

needs a 2ft handle ;)
Dsc_6103.jpg

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
hollowing a bird box with only a frosts hook would not be much fun and would take forever but if you are determined the 164 is the only one I would consider buying. Money far better spent with Duncan FGYT above or another good maker.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
hollowing a bird box with only a frosts hook would not be much fun and would take forever but if you are determined the 164 is the only one I would consider buying. Money far better spent with Duncan FGYT above or another good maker.
Robin has it right, I gave my frosts away and have knives from FGYT which I handled myself. If you are set on the Frosts the best of the bunch is probably
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/.../frosts-164-single-edge-crook-spoon-knife.htm

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
great thanks for the tips ill give the 164 a try cant do the ben orford ones as you need a cheque or postal order to do it and well its something i just dont do lol im a plastic man lol if he had a shopping cart for the carving knives i would have give them a look

great thanks for the tips ill give the 164 a try cant do the ben orford ones as you need a cheque or postal order to do it and well its something i just dont do lol im a plastic man lol if he had a shopping cart for the carving knives i would have give them a look

Why not Post office will take your plastic and give you a postal order then take the order in a letter and give it to Ben if he had to pay the rates to take your plastic his prices would be a lot lot more unfortunately us small guys ( and Ben does a lot more of this than me ) cant afford to do plastic which is why the Gov is stopping the banks removing cheque s altogether or a lot of people would have gone out of business. its bad enough cheque guarantee has been removed.

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE