Crook Knife Sheath/Hood - advice please

I recently treated myself to one of these Crook Knives from Clas Ohlson so I could attempt to have a go at a spoon or Kuksa.
http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Pr205441000/Pr205441000

I'm after something to cover it with to stop me keep catching myself on it.

What can you recommend me to make or purchase? Little leather jobber, or maybe a wooden disk it can slot into?
Any advice would be brill, as I'm running out of plasters and my rucksack is starting to get a few to many little nicks!

Cheers, Mark

Lyope

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
London
www.lyope.com
I store my Ben Orford flatter crook knives in a tool roll I made, with bored out corks protecting their edges. But for my lumpier tools (like the Mora spoon knife and my Hans Karlsson palm gouge) I've got a couple of these leather pouches:

db_file_img_847_1000x1000.jpg

http://woodsmithexperience.co.uk/shop/product/individual-case-for-crook-knives

For £5.95, I thought they were pretty good value.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Got any wood laying around? I made one for my Ben Orford knife out of a end cut of some plumb :)

Used a hand drill and my knife to cut out the trench, then oiled it! Does a good job and only took a short while.

reedx

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2012
Durham
www.REEDX.net
I recently treated myself to one of these Crook Knives from Clas Ohlson so I could attempt to have a go at a spoon or Kuksa.
http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Pr205441000/Pr205441000

I can't add anything to the replies already posted to your question Mark, but I would like to thank you for pointing out that Clas Ohlson do some of the Mora knives.

I recently bought a Mora Craftline High Q Robust after reading very positive reviews on the blade forums and Youtube. The 3.2mm Sandvik carbon steel blade and large comfortable handle make it a joy to use (as with most of the Mora knives of course). I thought that the £14.95 HH price was good

http://www.heinnie.com/Robust/p-0-0-8336/

but it's available for the bargain price of £9.99 from Clas Ohlson

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Morakniv-Craftline-High-Q-Robust-Allround-Knife/40-8499

They don't sell the knives online, but the online stock checker does show it's available at my local Newcastle store. I'm in town tomorrow so think I'll pick up a spare :)

Colin

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cut a finger off an old pair of leather garden gloves, then use it as a sheath. Ive had one on my spoon knife for ten years.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cut a finger off an old pair of leather garden gloves, then use it as a sheath. Ive had one on my spoon knife for ten years.

That's essentially what mine is but I made mine from a couple of veg tan off cuts.

DSC_1850_zps76b3902b.jpg

DSC_1851_zps6f7573e0.jpg

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
i use a piece of inner tube from my bike, slipped over the blade seems to work well protects the blade and what ever it is in.
Lou

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I use an idea from FYGT: cut a small slot in the top of a 35mm film can.
Or for added mojo, Angst of this parish had some lovely leather Mora crook knife sheaths on his stall at the bushcraft show.

Z

Had a look at Angst work - all his peices are absolutly stunning (and very much on my wish list)!

Think what I'll end up doing is employing one (which, I don't know yet!) of the techniques from your fantastic suggestions as a stop gap until Mrs BBH-Skip allows me to purchase one of Angst sheaths.

This can be acheived 2 ways;
1. Not buying nappies for the baby for a week and secretly pocketing the cash - House may end up a tad stinky (off top the woods me thinks :) )
2. Actually admitting to SWMBO that I bought a Crook Knife in the first place - take the ensuring verbal tyraid, and when I have had taken some more brave pills explain the need for the sheath!

Think option 1 is the safest!

Thanks again for all the suggestions, Mark

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Put knife in a box in the shed.
Tell SWMBO you are going to the shed.
Return with knife and tell SWMBO you found it in a box in the shed.
Explain that it would be great to learn to use it properly, but without a sheath it would be a bit dangerous to have in the house (now that you have a baby to consider).

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Z

Awesome idea! Only one issue. .. As we live in married quarters (I'm in the RAF) she knew that the shed was empty when we moved in.

Might have to say that one of my scouts bought it for me as a present to say thank you when they moved on to Explorers !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Awesome idea! Only one issue. .. As we live in married quarters (I'm in the RAF) she knew that the shed was empty when we moved in.

Might have to say that one of my scouts bought it for me as a present to say thank you when they moved on to Explorers !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Instead of a box make sure it's in a brand new handbag.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE