Crook knife question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
Hi there,

So I'm gonna try get hold of a crook knife to make some spoons and bowls (As inspired by Norco's beautiful work!)

I'm left handed so would I need a left hand specific one? Or does a crook knife work for both lefties and righties?

Thanks in advance.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I'm a lefty too, i bought a double edged Frosts one from Axminster Power tools for about £9.00 - not bad!! i find i can do every thing with it and i sometimes use the 'other' edge for carving backwards which is quite comfortable.

Axminster also sell single edged right handed ones too, for any of you others that are looking for one cheaply, as they are so expensive on many websites.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah Im left handed too, got a single edged left handed one from woodlore, well worth it as a (right handed) mate of mine tried to use mine and shredded his thumb :eek:

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
I've got the double-sided one from axminster as well, I must say it's pretty handy being able to back cut as well, it increases your cutting/holding options.

Obviously you have to watch your thumb though!

Lots are double sided but that's to give a steeper edge on back for coarse work. It's really essential to get left handed one if you are left handed because the knife has either to be used with force if you don't have it super sharp (hopefully not), or really sharp. Best not to risk a slip due to awkwardness!

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
I can highly recommend Ben Orfords crooked knives - beautiful & raaaazor sharp! I'm right handed but I'm sure he does them for lefties too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE