Critically ill after eating mushrooms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A good reminder to all of us

My sympathy`s with the whole family and let`s hope they all make a full recovery.

Rich

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
the press Association are saying it was the rare fungi Cortinarius speciosissimus, or deadly webcap
Wika claims that "the first symptoms usually do not appear until 2-3 days after ingestion and can in some cases take as long as 3 weeks. The first symptoms of orellanine poisoning are similar to the common flu (nausea, vomiting, stomach pains, headaches, myalgia, etc), these symptoms are followed by early stages of renal failure (immense thirst, frequent urination, pain on and around the kidneys) and eventually decreased or nonexistent urine output and other symptoms of renal failure occur. If left untreated death will follow."
Not nice, not nice at all.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
There but for the grace of god go I! I ate wild mushrooms at the weekend; took longer to id the fungi than it did to find them. (see my other post)

Best of luck to them -at least it wasn't phalloides (small mercy, I suppose).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought that immature Destroying Angels could look like puff balls ? Yes / No ?

Nasty thing to get wrong for dinner though :( Hope everyone recovers well.

cheers,
Toddy

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I find I cannot eat a wild mushroom and enjoy it if its been ID`ed by myself or someone I know. hence I dont see the point in eating them because it defeats the object as causes me too much anxiety. maybe one day when Im properly trained in this area. I love to look for them, but i wont eat them. Hope he gets better. Is it possible to survive without long term organ damage?

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
The macdonald enclyclopedia of mushrooms and toadstalls describes principal effects as damage to liver, kidneys, spinal cord, intestinal upset, fever, chill, headache and muscular pain, with a duration of 1-5 months, often being fatal. He must be going through hell.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I thought that immature Destroying Angels could look like puff balls ? Yes / No ?

Nasty thing to get wrong for dinner though Hope everyone recovers well.

cheers,
Toddy
The most immature amantia when cut in half still have basic gill features visable, very like the mushrooms you get in chinese food. Paddy straw mushroom even grow in a bag like amantias yet a puffballs are always solid and uniform. There is cases of immature amantias being eaten, i can't understand the mistake.

N. America seem to have less toxic species, and americans that collect fungi are a lot bolder than europeans because of it. Storms (bless:) ) list of fungi that he had eaten has species I wouldn't ever eat, because they are too close to deadly poisonious ones.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm confused - was it Destroying Angels or Deadly Webcaps? I have to admit I've always wanted to find a Destroying Angel...

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
timesonline have edited thier report now, so seems it was deadly webcaps. . . ive never heard of them before

Me neither... It's certainly not one that I'd recognise as dangerous - but then again, it's also not one I'd recognise as edible either.

Just goes to re-enforce the motto: "If in doubt, leave it out."

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Has anybody heard how this guy`s getting on ??

I presume no news is good news though

I just wander how his lungs and kidneys have stood up to their hammering.

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE