Crime! - Shocked, shocked I tell you...

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
In the first recorded crime in decades, the small Hebridean island of Canna has had it's community shops shelves cleared of sweets and biscuits.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

:)

Story.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
The Apple store in Watford has a similar system, doors left open overnight and an honesty box.

Jokes aside, how lovely it would be to live without crime. Part of me wishes a lot more things would be decriminalised and the remainder would not be perpetrated by people.

Oh well.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I spent a year living and working in a remote(ish) west highland village, the same story, doors were locked, theft was unheard of.

The crime of driving a vehicle (on land or water) while too drunk to see or string a coherent sentence together was fairly common though. :)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
There was a crime on St Mary's, Scilly, just before we visited a few years ago. Someone came out of a pub, stole a bike and rode it along the quay into the water.

Sadly, when we lived in Wiltshire over thirty years ago we never locked the back door but gradually over time, real or more likely, perceived threats caused security to be tightened.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sweet's and biscuits.....what's the betting it will also be the first cannabis possession charge in years when they finally catch up with the culprits. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We all sell from honesty boxes round here, its a way of life and almost everyone respects it.

Mind you they still know about rough music too ;)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Mind you they still know about rough music too..."

I don't think there was a similar custom for the highlands and islands.

We probably had/have something else...

MPB5qgl.jpg

;)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
My Uncle, living in Copthorne, West Sussex, told us of a post WWII example of rough music happening there that had the aim of driving an abusive neighbour from the village.

Perhaps it was a rough place but I could almost have wept when we stayed in the hotel there while waiting for a plane. Unrecognisable, I couldn't find my Uncle's house because of the new estates and the apparently different road pattern. But, the common with golf course was still there and I hope the villagers still play their annual game of football on it to affirm their rights.

http://www.visitoruk.com/Crawley/copthorne-C592-V7886.html

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I spent a year living and working in a remote(ish) west highland village, the same story, doors were locked, theft was unheard of.

The crime of driving a vehicle (on land or water) while too drunk to see or string a coherent sentence together was fairly common though. :)

Sounds like the Place I grew up in Northern Norway.

And you still find Places that sell coffee and waffles based on Peoples good will and a honesty Box.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE