Cricket oddity?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
During todays wodded wanders, we saw a great number of what I think are Grey Bush Crickets. The picture below is, I believe, a female due to the large upturned ovipositor at the rear.

940624305_e5df0feacc_b.jpg

Now heres the thing. She appears to have a large muscular rear leg on the left, but not on the right. We saw others with one on the right, but not on the left (I have more photos but this is the clearest).

I wondered if anyone can shed any light on this for me?

Thanks in advance

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
During todays wodded wanders, we saw a great number of what I think are Grey Bush Crickets. The picture below is, I believe, a female due to the large upturned ovipositor at the rear.

Now heres the thing. She appears to have a large muscular rear leg on the left, but not on the right. We saw others with one on the right, but not on the left (I have more photos but this is the clearest).

I wondered if anyone can shed any light on this for me?

Thanks in advance

Red

Strange indeed, don't think thats usual...Does it hop to the left all the time...?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Seemed to get around okay, but I have other picture of some with just a right leg ??? I'll post one in a minute to show I'm not going mad....

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This ones a rubbish photo, but as you can see, this one only seems to have a large right leg

940869551_a9e5a78c02.jpg

I'm sure some wise soul can enlighten me as tot he reason for this - it soes seem strange though

Red

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Red you'd better tell me that first shot is with your DSLR or I've bought the wrong compact:( great photo

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
You got me interested so I had a look round.
Crickets can autotomise limbs (chop their own bits off). Is it possible the cricket in the first picture is missing a back leg and only has the front two? The same the other way round in the second pic. I can't see any account of why they would want to do this though it might be the same reason a lizard sheds it's tail.
Gotta love this site for getting me interested in every little detail nature has to offer!:p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE