crash pics- me in a ditch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
these are the pictures of my bike- from showroom minty fresh, to the back of a tow truck in less than three hours:(

minty:

DSCF2343.jpg

sorry about my flabby ugly face in there:(
to ditch:
DSCF2346.jpg

bike totally flipped and landed on the luggage rack, and on my foot!
DSCF2349.jpg

DSCF2354.jpg

only 21 miles on the clock:
DSCF2350.jpg

the dent i made:
DSCF2351.jpg

tow truck:
DSCF2355.jpg

lesson learnt, next time- not so fast. real message here is ALWAYS WEAR YOUR PROTECTIVE GEAR it saved me from what would have been a rather nasty injury

ride safe

Nathan

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Nathan,

Thanks for the update, I know that it is not much consolation, but any crash you walk away from is always good news ( I speak from experience). Your bike can be fixed, your clothes washed and repaired and your helmet replaced.

Get well soon, and back in the saddle

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
yeah you guys are right- i coulnt myself really lucky, i'm still here and not too badly hurt. I've learnt from it and i'm hopefully a better rider and a better person for it.

in a few years time it'll al just be a good anecdote.

Nathan

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Theres not a rider out there that hasn''t cacked off at some point, I know I have several times.

As long as your OK then its just a learning experience, whats up with the bike that it had to be carried away?

Looks like bent forks? Thats not too hard to fix, owt else?

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
You were lucky Nathan. Alive, not in ICU, not in traction for 3 months with a fractured femur or screwed together ankle that might heal, but that would be a nightmare in later life.
Limp and learn ;) :)

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Glad your ok mate and not hurt apart from your pride that is. This may sound a bit strange but this is a good thing in as much as you have learned a valuable lesson, very early on in your riding career, and the bike is not too badly damaged going by the pictures, plus you have walked away from this reasonably unscathed. I'll bet the next time you go along that road you'll be a better rider because of it. It took 2 years before my first "off" and it was alot worse because I thought by then I was invincible and the best rider in the world and was going at a heluva rate o knots when I lost control. It took 4 days to get back on my feet and 6 months to get back onto my bike which took a month to straighten out and repair. Enjoy the bike mate, they are wonderful vehicles and can be a real joy especially in the summer, but treat riding it with respect and you will ride for many happy years.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Like Wanderingblade says, this may actually be the best thing that could happen to you as you will now probably turn out to be one of the safest bikers around.
Also you don´t have to be afraid to make that first scratch on your bike! ;)
Glad your ok!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
The Advanced Motorists have a motorcycle section. A lot of these guys are ex motorcycle policemen and they are very good at helping to keep you and your bike in one piece.

I never said this; they aren't too fussy about open road speed limits, it's safety first and foremost.

It might be worth your while giving them a try as they do give you lots of confidence as well as keeping you alive.:)

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Glad you are ok and that the bike is not too badly damaged. Get it fixed and get straight back on! My dad had some narrow escapes on bikes when he was young, makes for an experienced and safe rider now. Oh and your face is neither ugly nor flabby by the way!! :D

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Glad you are ok. Its a good job you landed in that mud really, you might have injured yourself on a harder surface.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Glad you are ok mate but this has to be the funniest thread I have seen for ages, I just cant stop laughing. That has got to be a record of some sort, 21 mile LOL.

Have you any pictures of yourself coming from the ditch full of mud?:lmao:

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Glad your not badly hurt.

I suspect that a lot more accidents happen within a few hours of getting on a different bike to what your used to than is widely recognised. Differently adjusted brakes, clutch and handling characteristic probably account for more than exhuberance. Even changing brakes or tyres, on a bike you know well, can catch you out as they take a little while to bed in.

My bike instructor told us the story of someone he knew who managed to right off a big 2 stroke withing a few hundred yards of picking it up, so don't feel too demoralised at your riding if you made 21 miles, just remember that any new things should be regarded with caution for a few days in future. I advise taking roads you know very well for the first 100 of so miles, that way your not having to look out for quite so many unkowns and can concentrated on how the bike feels and other road users around you.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
There is an old Texas saying. There has never been a horse that could not be rode and there never was a cowboy that could not be throed.
This works for bikes to as my old Harley has shown me a time or two
Just get back in the saddle and keep keeping on.
Stay safe

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
Glad you are ok mate but this has to be the funniest thread I have seen for ages, I just cant stop laughing. That has got to be a record of some sort, 21 mile LOL.

Have you any pictures of yourself coming from the ditch full of mud?:lmao:

:eek: sorry, no pics- but i'm assured i looked bloody funny! also, initially the bike was standing upside down in the mud handle bars and luggage rack suspended with the front wheel still slowly spinning .

even i had to chuckle

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE