Cramp Balls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I know, I know, get better fitting boxers....

Ok, now that's out the way. I've recently moved and can now get hold of cramp balls on the ash trees locally. I've been able to get them going with sparks from the fire steel, and they do throuw out good heat but not enough to get the small fuel lit. To get a fire from them I needed to wrap them in a tinder ball, but to be honest the tinder will take light just as easily with the sparks.

So, what's the point of cramp balls, what am I missing? Would you use them to dry out tinder or set fire with slightly damp tinder? Good hand warmers?

Justin

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
You're absolutely right, I had the same thoughts. However, if you pick out a hole in the middle of the fungus you can deposit a bow drill ember and blow it into a huge coal (breaking off the outer bark helps but is not essential) which is really helpful in damp weather and if your tinder isn't entirely dry. Also you can use a glowing cramp ball ember to practice blowing tinder into flames (as with the bow drill). :-D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
And you can carry the Cramp Ball around with you as it only smoulders and lasts a long time. You can wrap it in leaves or some such, store it and use it later. It's also very robust and does not extinguish easily, unlike an ember made from wood dust which is really quite delicate……And!! It will light things that your spark won’t and when it comes to the crunch one day you will be glad you know about how to use it :biggthump

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I don't know about lighting tinder, I managed to burn a hole in a favourite fleece without any problems at all using a glowing cramp ball :cry: :cry:
Doh!

Dave

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
I discovered the true usefulness of these little babies this week. If it's really stinging rain and even air dried kindling refuses to light from bone dry birch bark (my situation on monday :-?), then you can use a dozen or so cramp balls to build up an ember base on which to start a good fire without resorting to feather sticks. :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE