Cramp balls and horse shoe fungi ?

Feb 6, 2011
none
Please help, does anyone out there know how long a cramp ball takes to get to the size of a small apple? and how long a horse shoe fungi takes to get to say the size of a shire horse hoof? thankyou .

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Sorry, not sure, although a cramp ball grows at a far faster rate than a horse shoe fungus. Not sure on precise time period however and it would as always depend on environmental factors such as sunlight, dampness and all other variable. It would be fairly difficult to have an exact time frame for it though.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Interesting question.... Just edited post after some homework, as I was curious.

The flesh of the fungus (Daldinia concentrica) is purple, brown, or silvery-black inside, and is arranged in concentric layers.
Each layer represents a season of reproduction. So they get quite old!

Horsehoof (Fomes fomentarius) is much more slow growing.... The fruit bodies are perennial, surviving for up to thirty years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daldinia_concentrica

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fomes_fomentarius

al.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2011
none
Thanks HHazeldean, i wasnt expecting an exact time frame just a rough estimate, as it fascinates me and i forage for them all the time , only i have seen a horse shoe fungi about 20 inches long and 5 inches thick , and didnt want to take something that had taken , an age to form .

Feb 6, 2011
none
Bushwhacker ! i take it you have seen the photos , this is a serious question question and i know some one out there will know..
we will no doubt discuss the benefits of apple juice at the end of May sir...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The fomes grows in layers, kind of like tree rings.
I was given one from a tree that was going into the shredder; it was at least 16" wide and from crown to flat base about 9".
I counted the layers inside and there were five of them. It was unusually big anyway, but I was expecting more layers tbh.

Crampballs I don't know about; they're rare around here.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE