Crafty Crusader Cup Hanger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Been doing a bit of digging around in the forum for hints and tips for the Crusader mug / cooker combo, and I came across some posts refering to a hanger for the Crusader. Sure enough, a quick Google reveals that Bearclaw sell a U-shaped bit of alu for the job.

It seems to me that carrying an extra bit of metal to hang your mug (that serves no other useful purpose that I can think of) isn't really the best bushcraft solution. So, I thought I'd share a slightly more "bushcrafty" solution to the problem that I came up with the other weekend. Apologies if this is egg-sucking, but it might be useful to someone. I don't have any photos (probably just as well, my work's nowhere near Patrick's standard ;)) so you'll have to make do with text and imagination.

Start with a green willow shoot (or similar) about 50cm long. It should be fairly sturdy at the base - maybe the size of the end of your pinkie finger. Work the top 20-30 cms to make it flexible, then trim off - you'll use this to make a withy later. Mark the middle of the remaining stick, then cut away about 3/4 of its thickness for an inch either side of this - so you have two sticks joined by a strap. Work this strap to make it flexible, then bend the stick over to form a cross with a loop at the top (like those charity ribbons that used to be so popular). Split the flexible length you cut from the tip of the shoot into a suitable withy, then use it to lash the cross-over point so that it's held in shape, but the two "legs" can move like tongs. Cut notches into the inside of the "legs" to engage the rim of the mug.

And that's it! Put your mug into it and hang from the "strap" - because of the design, the more weight you have in the mug, the tighter it is gripped. It's actually based on an ancient tool (whose name escapes me) used to lift masonry - it will securely grip weight right up to the failure of the materials.

I like this trick for several reasons: it's made from a single stick, it's simple and elegant, and it relies on the ability to control the material's properties to give varying degrees of stiffness or flexibility as needed. All for a mere couple of minutes work - you can probably make one in the time it takes for your fire to get going properly. :)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Like the idea! - think i have a mental image of it - would love a piccie to confirm it though :rolleyes:

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Perhaps this shoddy diagram will help:

cup_hanger.gif

:)

Reactions: Stuart

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Great!,:) not exactly what i had guessed (mine the carved 'loop' was forming a kinda spring but i couldn't quite work out how it was going to work!:confused:)

will be fashoning one of these next time i'm out!

Graham

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Bit of an old thread to dredge up, but I've always meant to add a photo and I've finally got one.

This example is made from a rowan sapling rather than willow, so the withy is a bit untidy, but it did work. You can see that the ends are a little singed from use - I'm not sure how long you'd get out of one of these before it actually caught fire, but it's easy to make another.

cup_hanger_photo.jpg

Photo courtesy of JohnC, taken at the Loch Achray meet. Cheers John! :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I have to admit that I went for a tottaly non bushcraft solution and drilled hole in it :eek:

I think it was about 2.5 mm and its on the large curved side opposite the handle just under the lip, normally I just thread a length of paracord about 30cm long through it and tie the other end off on the handle, then it hangs nicely. Cheap, effective but maybe a bit too hight tech for this context :rolleyes:

I also made a lid from the lid of an old coffee tin. I marked the shape with a black marker, drew one parralell to this but 1cm further out. Cut round this, cut a few snips in from the edge and gently tapped it into place with small hammer. I drilled a couple of little holes in the top for another loop of paracord and Robert is the sibling of one of you parents. :)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, that's certainly a viable option - although I'm not too sure about how happy I'd be using paracord over the fire! ;)

I went for the super-lightweight option for a lid - I used the bottom of a pie dish, the sort you get ready-made quiche in from the supermarket. Heavy enough to withstand repeated use, but light enough to fold in half for storage inside the crusader cooker. :)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Why thank you. :eek:

I must admit I'm quite proud of it - it's the only really bushcrafty thing I know that I can fairly claim to be entirely my own idea. :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
gregorach said:
Yeah, that's certainly a viable option - although I'm not too sure about how happy I'd be using paracord over the fire! ;)

Up until then I didn't even think of it as a problem, now I am paranoid :eek:

However... we have a very old outhouse at work and it just struck me that I could swap 12" of chain from the flush with the paracord ;)

In the meantime I am certainly going to try your idea this weekend I like the simple elegance too, all I have to decide now is what shall I cook? :rolleyes:

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
OK just tried your idea during lunchtime, unfortunatley the security guards on site did not like the look of my saw so I had to make do with the little SAK on my key ring. :( OK so they didn't like that much either :confused:

There was nothing vaguely approaching a suitable sapling that wasn't under a camera so I ended up using three deadfall sticks about 12" long, lashing them together in a tight bundle.. OK SO I USED A CABLE TIE :eek: but once I had carved in the little indents it worked extremely well.

I say it worked well there was no way that I was going to get away with a fire, so I will try it at home tonight (on the BBQ) :lmao:

My workmates are now convinced that I am tottaly nuts and I am sure that they have taken on extra guards since the incident where they "discovered" 28Kg of propane in my car. :p

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Interesting... I've tried it before using a couple of sticks lashed together, but the problem I found was that they tended to twist when under load - resulting in a crusder full of tepid water being dumped into the fire.

Let us know how you get on. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE