Craft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
It's not very bushcrafty I know, but I use a craft knife quite a bit, for leather cutting, as well as model making, which I have been doing a lot of during lockdown. My preferred knife is the Swann-Morton orange plastic craft tool handle, with a number 1 blade. Unfortunately mine has developed some cracks radiating from the blade slot, so I decided to make a new handle from brass. I have copied the original shape as closely as possible, because I like it.

Swann-Morton by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

The new craft knife has some heft to it, but I love the feel of brass in my hand.

I am aware that Swann-Morton used to make a brass craft knife handle, but this has been replaced in the range by a stainless steel version. However, I like making things, and anyway the stainless one has got no soul!

Rambo Rees

Aug 15, 2020
Anglesey
It's not very bushcrafty I know, but I use a craft knife quite a bit, for leather cutting, as well as model making, which I have been doing a lot of during lockdown. My preferred knife is the Swann-Morton orange plastic craft tool handle, with a number 1 blade. Unfortunately mine has developed some cracks radiating from the blade slot, so I decided to make a new handle from brass. I have copied the original shape as closely as possible, because I like it.

The new craft knife has some heft to it, but I love the feel of brass in my hand.

I am aware that Swann-Morton used to make a brass craft knife handle, but this has been replaced in the range by a stainless steel version. However, I like making things, and anyway the stainless one has got no soul!
That's imressive .....Like it

Reactions: Muddypaws

Rambo Rees

Aug 15, 2020
Anglesey
....May be beyond my capability but may I ask how you milled the blank brass piece and cut the really narrow blade groove etc?

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
....May be beyond my capability but may I ask how you milled the blank brass piece and cut the really narrow blade groove etc?
It's two pieces of flat brass bar, and the blade groove was milled into the inner surface of one piece using a router with a small HSS end mill, and some creative fixturing. Then the two halves were sweat soldered together. Similarly, the step on the outside was milled using the same router technique, then lots of hand work with scrapers and files.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol

That's fantastic
It looks like it would be really satisfying to use.

Rambo Rees

Aug 15, 2020
Anglesey
It's two pieces of flat brass bar, and the blade groove was milled into the inner surface of one piece using a router with a small HSS end mill, and some creative fixturing. Then the two halves were sweat soldered together. Similarly, the step on the outside was milled using the same router technique, then lots of hand work with scrapers and files.
Impressive....and beyond my metal work skills. Respect.

toomanydaves

Dec 2, 2021
London

I work with leather and have been trying to track down an old brass Swann-Morton because I agree, stainless just isn't the same. Unfortunately my metal skills are no where near the point where I could recreate your work. I wonder if you have any interest in making another of these to sell? I'd be thrilled if you would...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Blimey Alan that's brilliant, you really are talented!

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I work with leather and have been trying to track down an old brass Swann-Morton because I agree, stainless just isn't the same. Unfortunately my metal skills are no where near the point where I could recreate your work. I wonder if you have any interest in making another of these to sell? I'd be thrilled if you would...
Unfortunately this will remain a unique piece. Many hours went into it, so even if my time was at a heavily discounted rate it would be stupidly expensive. Plus the cost of brass has gone up significantly in the last year. Sorry that I can't help.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Unfortunately this will remain a unique piece. Many hours went into it, so even if my time was at a heavily discounted rate it would be stupidly expensive. Plus the cost of brass has gone up significantly in the last year. Sorry that I can't help.

I bet it was a lot of work!

How did you do the slot for the blade - I imagine that was one of the trickier parts

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I bet it was a lot of work!

How did you do the slot for the blade - I imagine that was one of the trickier parts
The handle is made of two halves, with a shallow shelf milled into one half (router, end mill and some creative fixturing). Then the two halves were soldered together. I don't think I could have done it any other way, not with the tools I have at my disposal.

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE