Crabbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wahboasti

Feb 6, 2012
Caister-on-sea, Norfolk
You don't need a license for crabbing with a line from a pier or similar, nor would you need one for laying crab ( or lobster) pots. I think there are size restrictions on what you can keep but if you are just out for a few hours of fun, noone is going to bother you. Be aware that if you intend laying pots, the prime spots are often highly prized and jealously guarded.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If you're using a pot, even one of those cheap net types, then you should read the relevant Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority bylaws for the area you're in. There's a list here: http://www.association-ifca.org.uk/

The bylaws might seem a bit OTT but they're aimed at protecting stocks so worth following.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
When younger crabbing was a fun pass time for me, go to the local butchers get a hunk of off cut manky bit of meat on a bone, tie it to a length of string throw it in off a jetty then pull it up every few minutes - always a couple of crabs dangling off it. I had [and still have] no idea if they were edible [are all types of crab edible - or at least nice?]. But once there were twenty or so in a bucket we'd tip the bucket over and have a crab race and bet which one would make it to the water first :).

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
You do need a licence for pots at least you do in Devon I have one £25 a year for upto 5 pots with the correct sized escape hole they can be fished all year.

Dave

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Stupid Question of 2017:

What time of the year ate the crabs 'full'?
I started to crab a couple of years ago only, but only get crab where I can take one claw, as they ate empty.
I have fished them in April, June, July, August.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE