Cows & bulls, how to stay safe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Heifers without calves are usually fairly chilled out I find, but bullocks....

I was walking the Long Mynd in Shropshire a few years back, and my route went through a field of young bullocks.
I bumbled along minding my own business as I tend to do, along the edge of the field with the herd 50 yards off in the middle. As I passed by them a few watched intently, perhaps checking if I had food I suppose, then about 6 of them started to bumble over to me. I kept on going, expecting they were just a bit curious.
With my back to them now as I walked, I heard the sound of accelerating hooves, which isn't a good sound really.
I turned to them and did my 'wave like a herding farmer' thing, which seemed to stop them and they turned away again, so I carried on my way.
A moment later, the sound of hooves was back, only a few more of them had joined in.
So my farmer waving became a bit more urgent, and gave a few hollers, which stopped the lot in their tracks, and they moved back a bit.
Then more hooves, then more waving/hollering. They stopped for about 5 seconds then most of them ran right at me. Maybe they were out to prove who was the bulliest bullock or something, cos then it became fairly apparent that no amount of waving or shouting was going to help. No quick exit - the fence alongside me was too high to consider.

So I legged it, big time did I leg it. Down the field about 100 yards, and hurdled the stile with my heart beating outta my chest.
Lead bully was about 2 seconds behind me, so its a good job I cleared the stile.

Never had that happen before or since. Just goes to show the unpredictable nature of beasties, even domestic ones.
I will not laugh at other peoples misfortunes,
I will not laugh at other peoples misfortunes ,
I will not ...

...Aw sod it , that is a funny story and I laughed my head off. It must have been terrifying but I bet all your mates laughed when you told them...
:)
Sorry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE