cow **** wood British red might know?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Can any one help me identify wood by smell :lmao: ?
I once had a few large logs off the council (unofficial) I dont know what it was other than that it smelt exactly like cow **** when it was being worked. Once I get away from ash, oak, hazel and hawthorn my tree recogntion ability gets impaired a bit :) I wondered if it might be chestnut?
cheers Jonathan
Oh the spell/decency check has made my post seem ambiguous :D . The mystery wood smelled of cows pee, not poo :rolleyes:

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I wonder if it might have been oak. I have often thought that some oaks have that sort of smell. Can't be positive though.:rolleyes:

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Not sure about wood across the pond but over here we got elm when fresh and wet its called **** elm smalls like ****

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Were the logs still green wood or would be possible that they'd occasionally sat in water, or something else that would explain the smell? According to SWMBLTASO it's likely that either the logs had absorbed local pollutants; either during the trees life or when logged and left to stand.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Sounds like it could have been poplar that stinks like sh*t.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thanks for your reply's gemts :)
It definately wasnt oak (wrong colour, figure and I know the smell of oak). In fact me and the youngest boy take turns picking bits of oak kinderling and smelling them like cigar conosseurs to savour the aroma :lmao: Sad or what :D He's almost as good as me at identifying wood and he's only 3 :lmao:
The log's were fresh cut out of a public park, and very dense sopping wet (I had a job lifting a 4 foot by 1 foot log) I never cleaved any I used it for bowls, aparently chestnut cleaves real well. But after a few hours the shop smelled like a byre :eek: :D

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
any chance of a description of the wood? or photo? colour? any differece in heart sap? bark smooth or rough? clear anual rings? medulary rays showing? Just smell is not enough, at least a description of a smell think about wine people trying to describe wine smells. Having said that I wonder about elm...I won't have green elm in the workshop...rank.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
any chance of a description of the wood? or photo? colour? any differece in heart sap? bark smooth or rough? clear anual rings? medulary rays showing? Just smell is not enough, at least a description of a smell think about wine people trying to describe wine smells. Having said that I wonder about elm...I won't have green elm in the workshop...rank.

The smell was the most memorable aspect :) .
I remember it was a pale olive green/pus colour, and quite "stringy" fine ribbons not crinkly like cherry wood. Even colour all the way through, rough drab green bark, thats about all I can recall. No medulliry rays or strong swiyly grain to speak of. so not elm. I thought poplars were verical formed, this tree was more dumpy and spreading.
Thanks for the sudegestion's gent's :)
cheers Jonathan

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
How about this as the idea for Mr Red's next tree ID challenge? Given that the last tree ID competition was so easy :lmao: , how about us having to identify trees by their smell with a scratch and sniff challenge?

1. [Scratch here]
2. [Scratch here]
3. [Scratch here]
4. [Scratch here]
5. [Scratch here]
6. [Scratch here]
7. [Scratch here]
8. [Scratch here]
9. [Scratch here]
10. [Scratch here]

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE