Courses

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Can anybody recommend some good people to get some introductory bushcraft courses from? Also, does £250 seem expensive for an introductory course?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
where are you based? how long a course are you planning on?
i went on an exellent weekend course in scotland with backwoods survival for £110

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Where abouts are you based? If you are not too far north, why not come to the meet-up near Reading in a couple weeks? There should be quite a range of skills being demonstrated/taught, its a lot less than £250 and maybe it will give you some ideas for what you want to learn more of.

There will be another at the end of July in South Wales.

£250 seems to be the standard price for a weekend with the "top tier" schools. That doesn't mean that what they teach is better. Shop around, there are a lot of smaller schools that are very good and a lot less money, hopefully some more people will chip in their experiences.

Just a note on the list of schools linked above. Not all the links are active, however that doesn't mean the schools aren't. For instance, Wild Life can be found at http://www.wildernessliving.co.uk.

good luck :D

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Thanks for the advice.

I'm 'based' in Norfolk. At september I'll be going to a different school, boarding during the week. I will then be in Suffolk in the week and Norfolk in the weekend. And, of course, that doesn't mean i'm not willing to travel out of East Anglia.

That Bearclaw Greenhorn course looks to be in the lead so far. £100 seems quite reasonable.

[edit] However, looking at the dates of the courses, I'm not too sure if they fit in well with me.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
£100 is a good cheap deal for a weekend

£250 Iis not.

Garys course sounds great - good job you found it advertised through here before you wasted too much money.

:)

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
ah - a thread i was gonna start.

thankfully someome pointed me in the courses list on the site, and i think i am gonna go with bison bushcraft as its in east sussex (where i am based) and the price seems reasonable.

i hope to be doing the september weekend course.

Earth Mother

May 15, 2005
Kent
If you're based in the South, the Trail-Sense Bear Necessities course was fantastic. £100 for the weekend which was a bargain - I learned loads and had a lot of fun. :D

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Biddlesby said:
Thanks for the advice.

I'm 'based' in Norfolk. At september I'll be going to a different school, boarding during the week. I will then be in Suffolk in the week and Norfolk in the weekend. And, of course, that doesn't mean i'm not willing to travel out of East Anglia.

That Bearclaw Greenhorn course looks to be in the lead so far. £100 seems quite reasonable.

[edit] However, looking at the dates of the courses, I'm not too sure if they fit in well with me.

Gary at Bearclaw does run an excellent course if you can make the dates. Dont forget that you get a freebie knife included in with the course fees.

Cheers,
Simon

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
have a look on the front pages link above and then have a look at post 2# of this thread PatricM who runs it is an amazing bushcrafterJames

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
Yeap bearclaw bushcraft is a great weekend. I attended one last year which was an added date so was not on the web site, so will be worth an email to Gary to see if any extra dates are planned. I found the weekend very good run by great guys who so obviously enjoyed what they do....My other half reckons I have not been the same since :D :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE