Courses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Hello all,

I am new and looking to get into all of this so considering going on a course. It think the weekend courses may be rather short - by the time you have camped and got sorted out it will be time to go home again - so I am looking for a 4-6 day course.

Based on price, duration and all I have found by Googling I have short-listed courses by:

www.wildwoodbushcraft
www.woodland-ways
www.woodsmoke

Anyone got any experience/recommendations to make? Woodland ways is the favourite at the moment based on price though looking at the map of where they are I don't see much woodland...

Thanks.

I have only attended courses with Woodlore (fantastic but not cheap), so can't comment on the above. But I've heard woodsmoke mentioned many times in a favorable way.
I'm sure someone on here will be able to give you another personal recommendation.
Hope you find something suitable.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
From your list I've only attended Woodsmokes' courses and can't recommend them highly enough. Definitely money well spent.

I think you might struggle to get on a week long course though if your only just starting out. The schools tend to require clients to attend a weekend course or have decent experience before allowing them on extended ones. I think it's more to do with getting the basics right and learning stuff like safe tool practises etc.

Saying that you might find something, send a few emails out and see what they say. i'd be honest about your exerience though as it would be a shame to not get the most of a course when you've paid £500+ for a week.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
im on the 5 day trueways course later this month, less bushcraft more survival (although bushcraft is survival and vice versa). cheaper than all those above at £320

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Thanks for the input. It seems Woodsmoke has some sort of connection with this site as there is a forum for that listed at the bottom of the front page.

I did call the chap from Woodland Ways about having no experience and he said it should not be an issue and they can take allowance of that. They have a relatively small group size of 10 and instructor ratio of 1:3-4 which could help.

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
I went on the Woodlander with woodsmoke last year and it was great! The instructors realy know their stuff! well worth the money i thought.
I doubt a lack of experience would be a problem for that course, because when i was there someone worked in IT and she said her self, that she knew nothing about the subject except from watching Mearsy on tv, and she managed perfectly fine.
I liked them so much i'm going back there this summer for the Native course.
Hope this helps, Dan

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I hope the following helps , I was lucky enough to win a competiton prize last year from this forum to attend a course offered by Wilderness Survival Skill.

I posted a full review which can be found here;-

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45644&highlight=hunter+gatherer

I thought it was a good course and well run , as well as other who have been on courses with the same company.
One of the students with us had very little previous experience ( her own admission ) and she managed to cope extremely well so the learning curve was never intimidating.

I'm sure there a plenty of other schools that offer equally proficient courses , this just happens to be one i am aware of.

HTH

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE