Courrans / currans

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm sitting here lacing up a new pair of courrans and had a thought. These very simple shoes are the Scottish equivalent of moccasins. Easy to make, and once you have a pattern that fits you, when they wear out you simply unlace them lay them out on a new piece of leather and cut out another pair :D Light, comfortable, quick drying.....there must be other patterns this simple. What did the Welsh and the English folks wear? I know that Irish/ Manx/Shetlanders, etc., wore very similar ones to the Scots.
The courrans are also excellent for tracking or moving lightly through woods, bracken, heather but they aren't much protection on stoney roads or pavements.

I know that folks like Leon-1 make beautiful sewn moccasins but I'm interested iin simple patterns that people have actually made and used.
I know about Marc Carlson's footwear website, but his patterns are drawn but not actually constructed and known to be a good wearable shoe, even if they are based on historical representations.

Any ideas?

cheers,
Toddy

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
no idea what they´ve used in Wales ...

a lot of materials (depending on availability) have been used for the (local) production of shoes.
Wooden clogs from the Netherlands are famous, in Scandinavian countries clogs are made with a leather upper half, the Danes have clog boots (leather with wooden sole).
A traditional shoe in the blackforest is the Schwarzwald Finken - made from straw. Same material is probably used worldwide eg. Japan, where they also fixed small leather stripes on short wooden boards to get shoes.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
currannl8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] #

Currans are wonderful shoes, the highlanders were some of the last people in europe to have a "living" field/bushcraft tradition and so their clothing is very suitable for those of us who are intersted in sneaking up on deer and other fun things. I probably wouldn't try walking around with a dirk though!
I heard that the word "Moccasin" is from the Gaelic "mo chasan" meaning my footwear could be true

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
jerv said:
currannl8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] #

Currans are wonderful shoes, the highlanders were some of the last people in europe to have a "living" field/bushcraft tradition and so their clothing is very suitable for those of us who are intersted in sneaking up on deer and other fun things. I probably wouldn't try walking around with a dirk though!
I heard that the word "Moccasin" is from the Gaelic "mo chasan" meaning my footwear could be true

Any chance of unlacing it and showing it flat = instant pattern ;)

I quite fancy making a pair, how thick is the leather?

Cheers,
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE