Couple of Mark Hill Woodies

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I attached the Scales to.

I bought these blanks a few months ago from Mark with the idea of giving them as gift this Christmas. Took me a while to get started.

After buying the scales i realised that sanding them by hand would probably have taken me until Christmas so the search began for a Linishing tool of some sort. Anyway, i found one on the cheap, not ideal for fine work but it sure as hell cuts down the manual labour.

So i got started on the sanding last week, The first one is the one with the darker handle, I was aiming for the RM/AW style handle. As you
can see, me being a ham fisted individual and the Belt sander having a 40 grit belt (used 120 grit on second) i whittled it away a wee bit too much.
th_Snapshot_20150731_4_zpsvtunmj5s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_Snapshot_20150731_6_zpszx7erwnu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The second one i just got done this morning, note the colour change in the space of a week, both scale sets are the same wood..African Paduk aka Pterocarpus soyauxii.. :rolleyes:

th_Snapshot_20150731_9_zpsez8vt6wc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Happy with both efforts so far, still got some fine hand finishing to do on the lighter coloured one.
The first one, because i failed on the Handle shape i decided just to shape it to fit my hand. I left it kinda rough shape wise but smoothed it off, I intend to keep this one as is. Just a polish and it's good to go me thinks.

Anyway. These where my first attempts and knife Handles. Overall happy with the progress and now comfortable enough to attempt more now that i know the process.

Here's some more pics.
th_Snapshot_20150731_11_zpstekinrwy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_Snapshot_20150731_8_zpsfg6yv914.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_Snapshot_20150731_9_zpsez8vt6wc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_Snapshot_20150731_2_zpszcjy4ozs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_Snapshot_20150731_5_zpsxm53dzuw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Ok, just checked. Can cause dermatitus in some people...I was a spray painter. No stranger to fascinating Skin complaints. now my nose is giving me gyp.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE