Couple of Lumps Of Sycamore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Made from a lump of Sycamore i got about ten days or so ago

First up small bowl, exterior is basically done, still need to work on the interior surface a bit

DSCN3371.jpg

Second one is a Kuksa ive been playing around with for a week or more, i had initially sanded the exterior surface but really didnt like it, so this afternoon, with nothing better to do, i added a tooled finish, which i much prefer

DSCN3334.jpg

Both items made using adze, axe, straight & crooked knives

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lovely work :D Looks 'right' somehow :cool:

I like sycamore for my kitchen ware; it's clean, washes well, doesn't taint, doesn't split, fine grained; excellent for the job.

cheers,
M

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Dammit, my tooled finishes would currently be better (and quicker) if I just gave the wood to the dog to chew. And then you post up something like this. :cussing:

Lovely work as always. :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers guys:)

Dammit, my tooled finishes would currently be better (and quicker) if I just gave the wood to the dog to chew. And then you post up something like this. :cussing:

Sooorry :puppy_dog:puppy_dog:puppy_dog:puppy_dog:)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I suppose I'll just have to practice some more...

;)

that's all ive done and do, to get the finish all i do is make hundreds if not thousands of tiny cut's always working on a ridge between two previous cuts and each time all i do i do is just take off the ridge, of course 1 ridge then becomes two, two becomes four etc etc etc, but keep at it and in next to no time you will get the tooled finish :)

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Beauiful work as always mate, that tooled finish is really beginning to grow on me!
You are gonna have to teach me how to not kcuf up a Kuksa round a camp fire on bimble day!

RM

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Beauiful work as always mate, that tooled finish is really beginning to grow on me!
You are gonna have to teach me how to not kcuf up a Kuksa round a camp fire on bimble day!

RM

tis easy - honest:), me thinks up to the old barn, get a bonnie and a brew on and spend a day making Kuksa's - how's that sound?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE