Spalted Sycamore Turnings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Earlier this year my sister had a sycamore tree taken down in her garden, and she saved some pieces of it for me. The logs were sitting in her garden for most of the year, mouldering away, and hopefully developing some interesting staining. I've been busy lately attempting to turn them into some useful objects on my pole lathe.

First up is a shallow bowl.
Shallow Bowl by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Bowl by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Overall diameter is six inches. Unfortunately the chap who chopped the tree decided to cut it up into eight inch chunks, so as well as some interesting staining, I have some unavoidable cracking from the ends.

Cracking by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

I decided to flood the cracks with superglue, and the proceeded to apply more superglue as the surface finish, by dribbling it on as the workpiece was gently spinning, and smoothing it out with my finger (in a vinyl glove). A couple of coats were applied, then, when dry, sanded smooth with fine abrasive paper.

I think the end result is quite pretty, but I wouldn't use it to eat my dinner from.

Next we have some simple candlesticks, designed to hold a two inch diameter pillar candle.

Candlesticks by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

The staining is more pronounced on the slightly larger one. Again a superglue finish was used, in order to stabilise the cracking. I made the polished brass discs, complete with spikes, to securely hold the candles, and catch any wax drips.

I've got a few other spalted sycamore projects in the works; I'll post them later in the week.

Thanks for looking.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice pieces :D

I have sycamore plates that have been in use for nearly forty years. They get scrubbed when they start to look a little in need, dried off, and they've lasted so very well.
I use them for bread, fruit, and such like, stuff that a damp cloth usually does fine to clean after.

I do like your take on the candle spikes :D Very practical and really appealling.

M

Reactions: Muddypaws

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE