Countryside management principles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
I hoping there are some folks who can point me in the right direction on where to find some good reading on countryside management principles. I'm doing some voluntary work for my local wildlife trust and fancy learning a bit more about the subject.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Hi Tom,

Not sure from your post whether you are wanting more info about the the practical techniques (fencing, footpaths, walling etc) or the rationale and planning behind habitat/countryside management work.

In either case the series of handbooks produced by BTCV are an excellent and accessible place to start. They contain information on the rationale behind practical conservation tasks and a detailed practical guide on how to undertake the jobs. They contain excellent illustrations too. The full list is here: http://shop.tcv.org.uk/shop/category?l=level2;lid=59 but you could check if your library stocks them.

There is lots of info available on the web too. You will probably find that if you go to the website of any conservation organisation ( Woodland Trust, RSPB, Canals and Rivers Trust or Natural England) there will be sections relating to the principles of their work. wwwnaturenet.net is good too.

Hope that helps. If it's something more specific or different you're after let me know as i might have some more suggestions.

Happy Reading :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE