Council Tool Hudson Bay axe - in the UK

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice looking axe, very expensive and the steel on them is soft. Not like a GB or similar. 50 -54 RC. Which is quite a big range really. Don't expect them to preform like a GB, they will have thicker bits to make up for the softness of the steel. I do like the look of them though. Snow and Nealley are cheaper and harder for the same pattern.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I haven't seen Council's Velvicut line, but their run-of-the-mill axes do not look particularly well made. And the legendary Snow and Nealley now only assembles axes, the heads of which are forged in China.

Granfors Bruks and Wetterlings are good quality but have become almost boutique axes with prices to match.

I think finding a vintage head from the golden age of North American logging, 1850-1950, and rehafting it yourself is a good alternative. I noticed a somewhat abused old Collins head in the corner of a friend's garage just yesterday.

The military surplus market over here was recently flooded with nice Hults Bruks and Kimo Bruks axes from Sweden for $25, maybe those are available to you as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE