Could I have become allergic to forests.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bazooka Joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Danmark
I'd definitely suggest talking to your GP.

If it is an allergy, and you have to take antihistamines, be aware that taking them can increase the risk of hypothermia if you're out in the cold.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Allergic reactions here are not uncommon in the spring. We have hard cold winters. I have to sweep up all the deer crap in my front yard after the snow goes.
So our spring consists of 6 months of frozen crap and detritus, melting, thawing and decomposing all at once.

That " crisp" smell of spring is the ammonia from decomposition! Just yummy.

After approx 40 years here, it seems that the reactions are largely to the fungi and bacteria associated with the decomposition.
Not hard to imagine how anyone could develop a sensitivity over time.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Allergic reactions here are not uncommon in the spring. We have hard cold winters. I have to sweep up all the deer crap in my front yard after the snow goes.
So our spring consists of 6 months of frozen crap and detritus, melting, thawing and decomposing all at once.

That " crisp" smell of spring is the ammonia from decomposition! Just yummy.

After approx 40 years here, it seems that the reactions are largely to the fungi and bacteria associated with the decomposition.
Not hard to imagine how anyone could develop a sensitivity over time.

Good for your tomatoes and roses? The decomposed deer fecal matter.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yeah, possibly. Somebody told me that Llama turds were good for grape vines, too.
How would non-grape growers think of that? Man, do they stink on a hot day (the turds, that is).
Llama don't taste that bad but I won't eat it again. "Chip" got the "chop" and we all cooked him up.

I'll clean up and "over haul" it. Haul it out back and tip it over the back fence.
Maybe dump it all on the horse radish, nothing can kill that off.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Your place would be famous for the biggest, hottest Horseradish in the world. Connoseurs would que to buy an inch.
You would be approached by Netflix to be included in the series 4 of the Chef's Table.

Never tasted Llama. Had a semi auto Llama when I was young and stupid. The ultimate POS gun manufacturer.

Last edited:

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Epipens can be dangerous, I was prescribed one after a hive type reaction. Only at the last minute did the doctor note that my blood pressure was normal and I needed antihistamine and a steroid injection. The epi pen is to boost very low blood pressure during anaphylaxis. I agree with you regarding even mentioning a dose of Epinephrine when there is no anaphylactic reaction.

Taking an antihistamine tablet is hardly frightening, many people take one daily during the pollen season, and appears to help the OP. Sort of 'job done' really.

Since I was the only one who mentioned an epipen, I'll point out that I began with agreeing with the advice to see his GP - and my mention of epipens were in my description of my suddenly changing allergies, nowhere did I suggest anyone else use one unless prescribed. And having had 2 anaphylactic reactions I hope none of you ever need one.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Gaudette: it's happening here = many people complaining of spring respiratory distress.
McBride and the local ranches are carved out of the forest.
So any breeze brings the fungus spores and the bacteria of decomposition
down the forested mountainsides and across the village.
The local environment is thawing quite rapidly so there's a whole winter of detritus to rot.
Not to mention all the fecal debris on the local ranches.
I've cleaned away enough deer scat in my front yard that I can walk to the street without stepping in any of it.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I've been away for awhile but thought I'd trawl through and see what's been happening and I thought I should update the thread and thank everyone for their advice and concern. This is the only time I ever suffer these symptoms. I can assure everyone it wasn't an anxiety attack, I don't smoke having given up ten years ago.
Whilst I was there I did speak to some of the rangers which I should have posted whilst I was there. They agreed that many people report the same sort of symptoms and a couple of the rangers had the same sort of thing. I don't know what causes it but as I said I suspect it's something in the damp leaves. As soon as I got back into the fresh fen air all the symptoms disappeared.

ten years ago. I am 51

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Biologists who research the fungi are called 'mycologists,' as you probably know.
Standard equipment consists of petri dishes with potato-dextrose agar (PDA) and trypticase-soy agar (TSA).
The different nutrient compositions tend to enhance the growth of fungi (PDA) and bacteria (TSA).

As a short lab exercise in the study of the organisms of decomposition in ecology, I had students collect dead leaves and twigs for cultures.
The standard 48 hrs incubation normally revealed about 50 different colors and shapes of organisms.

Those are the "something in the damp leaves."
You get even small amounts up your nose and your immune system goes to work to fend them off =
they are organisms of decomposition and you are fresh warm meat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE