Cougars in Great Britain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I know cougars,or american lions ( there are several names for this animal; paint,catamount, mountain lion) are in british countryside, likely released exotic pets. Cougars wiegh @ 110-180 lbs with the females @ 30 % smaller. They live in the wild @ 10 years, are solitairy except for mating and hunt from dusk to dawn ( daylight activity is not unusual.) They feed on many animals and will cache a kill with dirt and debri. Tracks consist of 4 toes and a trilobed pad, claws retracted with the front larger than the rear. Usually a walking cat will place hind paws in the front's imprint. If observed distinct he/she is loping or running. Cats will stalk and atttack from behind. They kill with a massive bite to the base of the head or neck. If you think there is a cat nearby make noise. If you see a cat NEVER turn your back or run. This triggers the attack response. Make yourself look big, raise your arms, hold up a rucksack etc. and remain quiet as you slowly retreat. If it does attack DO NOT play dead. Now you yell,kick,punch and fight back. California has several thousand cougars and we have had a few rare fatalities and attacks. Most of these animals were underwieght, old or young. We banned hunting and now the combination of unchecked urban development and their rising number is pushing many animals out of a decent home territory. The isolated animals over there seem to be doing well enough on wild game and domestic stock and have little chance of mating. Still , on the odd chance you stumble on tracks or a kill cache keep your head. Finally,should you see one without incident appreciate their beauty. Just don't tell the ley Line and crop circle set.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
They are about as rare as a yeti. I think 1 leopard has been shot by a farmer, after 9 months in the wild. The majority of reports are tracks, nearly all of which turned out to be dog. Many of the kills are more consistent with ferral dogs. Thogh there are some sightings/reports which are harder to dismiss. It would seem that some kind of panther, puma, cougar or mountain lion is in the wilds of the UK in numbers upto about 100 animals, but as yet, only very "iffy" photographic evidence exists.

In August 2000, an 11 year old boy was attacked by what experts believe is a black, leopard like animal....

catattack.jpg

This is the only reported attack to date. The boy said he thought it was playing with him. Judging from the fairly superficial wounds, i'd say he was probably right. :wink:

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Fortean Times used to (and perhaps still does) publish an annual ABC (Alien Big Cat) sightings update for Britain, although offhand I can't recall which month it appears in. Logically you'd think sometime soon. If you're interested in ABCs in the UK it's well worth picking up the magazine periodically (no pun intended, which is rare for me) as there are a surprising number of reports. There's a website too:

http://www.forteantimes.com/

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
In my time mooching around private woodland - looking for somewhere to buy/rent or just being out with the bow, I have come across one track - which was certainly of the large cat variety. I also know a few people who have seen or experienced signs of them.

One place I visited, had confirmed Lynx issues, and a big cat presence. I always had it in the back of my mind that I would be visiting the back of a bush one day, and have any possibility of constipation irradicated :wink:

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
The big cats are most certainly present in the UK countryside.

Ample proof is avaiable in the animals which over the years have been found dead/shot/captured. The numbers of cats involved and the variety of species will surprise you!

It is well worth visiting Forteantimes excellent and highly entertaining web site. They still do an annual review of big cat sightings. Check out the archive section for the complete articles. As I said, you WILL be amazed at the cats that have been found out there...

Recently we have had the NI Police confirming that there is a puma loose in the province.

Last week Leicester Police verified that their officers had seen, filmed, tracked and lost a black leopard.

The proof is out there...

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I dont doubt they are there, just that they are very, very, very rare. I took a look at the British Big Cat Society website http://www.britishbigcats.org , which I believe is probably the best reference. It catalogues about 15 dead/shot/captured exotic cats in the UK over the years. Interestingly they claim the above photo of the 11 year old boy is a hoax. Despite efforts to track and photograph these cats, the evidence is still just some very "iffy" photo's, spore, tracks, wounded horses and the occasional carcass "attributed" to cat kills. I would say the balance of probability is in favour of their being some escaped animals in the wild, but the chances of encoutering one, must be higher than winning the lottery.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
On a not entirely related topic, albeit a safer one for walkers, the sad news is that the wild wallabies are almost certainly now all dead.

For anyone not aware that wallabies ran wild in the British countryside, several were released back in the thirties and a reasonably thriving colony persisted for decades near to Leek in Staffordshire, around The Roaches (which climbers may well know). Indeed, I saw one myself some years ago. A wallaby that is, rather than a climber. The survival of the wallabies was often cited as evidence that ABCs could also be at large in the UK, but after a slow decline it appears that their residence was not a permanent one. Hats off please, gentlemen.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
ChrisKavanaugh said:
O.K. If I make it over there again what about Hedgehogs?

Lethal. - Especially if you meat the lesser spotted, MP5 toting, urban CQB hedgehog. :wink:

I'm afraid there is very little in the British countryside, that cant be "put off" with carefully selected, harsh language. :-D :lol:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
bigjackbrass said:
On a not entirely related topic, albeit a safer one for walkers, the sad news is that the wild wallabies are almost certainly now all dead.

For anyone not aware that wallabies ran wild in the British countryside, several were released back in the thirties and a reasonably thriving colony persisted for decades near to Leek in Staffordshire, around The Roaches (which climbers may well know). Indeed, I saw one myself some years ago. A wallaby that is, rather than a climber. The survival of the wallabies was often cited as evidence that ABCs could also be at large in the UK, but after a slow decline it appears that their residence was not a permanent one. Hats off please, gentlemen.

That is a real shame. I used to go up to the roaches often, it's only a few miles from me. I've been there dozens and dozens of times. Never saw one (wallaby) though. I had thought there were some on dartmoor too - or is that a myth?

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Not sure about wallabies on Dartmoor, although it's a charming thought and I hope you're right. The famous moor ponies, by the way, are also in decline, and I do wonder if we're not going to lose all such colonies of oddities before long. Ah well, at least us oddities have this site to cling to.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Martyn said:
bigjackbrass said:

That is a real shame. I used to go up to the roaches often, it's only a few miles from me. I've been there dozens and dozens of times. Never saw one (wallaby) though. I had thought there were some on dartmoor too - or is that a myth?

Two minute's silence for the demise of the wallaby.

I thought that there was a colony in North Derbyshire, round Buxton or Matlock way...

This big cat story comes up now and again. Supposedly something to do with a change on the law concerning keeping dangersou animals (1977 act?); several big cats and soem wolves were supposedly released. Two black leopards or panthers are supposed to cover the territory between Doncaster and Malton...

Keith.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
My friends found a roadkill wallaby this summer, just north of Henley.
I hear theres loads of wild Boar escaped in hampshire over the past 10 years so they have a good wild breading population down there.
I am waiting for the Wolves to escape from Newbury. I look forward to having dangerous animals back in our countryside or atleast plenty of rumours. That might keep the fly tippers in the towns!
:twisted:
Rich

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
somewhat off topic again but apparently racoons are now quite widespread across europe (even as far as Spain!) all thanks to the allies bombing a German zoo in WWII!. hmm... amusing

mac

Oct 28, 2003
durham
I don't mean to make fun of the big cat issue
Just that when I was about 10, we were playing in our village when the rumour spread about something big roaming the locality. Suddenly people from all backgrounds, teachers, children, parents etc all descended on a small copse in our primary school observing these two large footprints in the mud, perfectly shaped with heel and large toed imprint!
Everyone was agog.
Then days later as the find reverberated more silently through the village, I was out climbing on garage roofs when someone shouted from afar"SASQUAWCH!!". Several of us were only very little and innocent and immediately went sprinting of home,panting furiously screaming"DADDY!!"
it wasn't until about a year later when this older lad nicknamed ripper was caught by his teacher carefully gouging out another large foot in the ground!

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Exozoology,or the study of animals undocumented ( Nessie, Susqatch, the giant squid etc.) is fascinating. It is hampered by the same fruitcakes and con artists that plague science with fake mermaids. I like the idea there are undiscovered wonders in a world covered with asphalt and steel. Several years ago there were reports of an beast in Los Angeles that walked upright, left a horrific stenchand lived in the Los Angeles river eating rats and 'possums. It turned out to be a homeless transient. He did stink.

D

darctus

Your certainly right about wild boar.They are well established in Dorset Hampshire,Sussex and Surrey.Sightings have been reported elsewhere.Saw an article in one of the shooting mags by a guy who has been studying them for years and he believes within 10 years every county in the country will have them.
Only problem I can see is if you meet one ,what do you do?

D

darctus

Nice one Rich.I've just been told there is a programme on ch.4 at 8.30 (I think)which includes a boar hunt in France.That should solve the bangers,where do I find the mash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE