Cost of getting into open canoing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Following on from a thread by Rancid Badger, and having just tried open canoing for the first time, I was wondering what would be a reasonable kit to start with for a solo paddler, and how much I can expect to spend ( ignoring the occassional spectacular bargains that some people find)

I'm thinking :

A canoe (what sort for a newbie solo paddler?, two up? etc)
A roofrack to carry it with
a PFD (what to look for? standards etc)
a paddle...

and a sense of humour :D

anything else?

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Steve, No disrespect to people on here at all, but you may get a more informed answer on Song of the Paddle forum. But from my very limited knowledge I think you have most things covered.

and yes, you only need 1!

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Steve, No disrespect to people on here at all, but you may get a more informed answer on Song of the Paddle forum.
I'll agree with that Ian, but i've just tried to post the same question over there and when I click on submit thread, my browser shuts down... i'm having the same problem on other sites so I'll try and post the thread from work on monday.. :)

and as for only needing 1...... since when did NEED have anything to do with it? :D

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Steve, No disrespect to people on here at all, but you may get a more informed answer on Song of the Paddle forum. But from my very limited knowledge I think you have most things covered.

and yes, you only need 1!

You want TWO paddles mind!
SoTP is obviously going to be the place for "expert" advice, I registered over there a few weeks back and they really are very helpful and friendly.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I registered on SOTP a couple of days ago after lurking on there for ages. Its a great site and full of really helpful people I have just spent a great afternoon on a canal with Stu from apache canoes. Before anybody gets a costco special have a look at his site as his boats are stupidly easy to paddle. and pretty to boot.
No conncection or anything sinister Just about to become a happy customer when i decide on what colour to get.

Greg

A very good second hand canoe can be had for under £500, bearing in mind you can pick up a fibreglass secondhand canoe for £50, so by good I mean lightweight good quality that would cost around £1000 or so new.

A pfd, well you can pick them up for £20 upwards
A wooden paddle, a basic one around £30,
Flotation bags...£30-40 each or there abouts...

Winter on evilbay is the best place or the free ad papers...

Gd luck

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Second hand boat - <&#163;500
Pair of paddles - &#163;50
PFD - &#163;30
Roof bars - &#163;50

...then...

Drybags - &#163;20
Drytrousers - &#163;30
New waterproof - &#163;50

...then...

Pole - &#163;50
Path of the Paddle - &#163;15
Airbags - &#163;60
More drybags - &#163;15
A nice WW paddle that catches your eye - &#163;70
A pair of sandals - &#163;15
A pair of wellies - &#163;30
A nice deepwater paddle that catches your eye - &#163;50
Another canoe - <&#163;500
Assorted fishing kit over that time - &#163;Anybodys guess.
Sailing rig....Drysuit...Trolley...Anchor...Can we stop now please?
Jeez, then there's all that petrol.:rolleyes:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
For a complete beginner Why not look at an inflatable especially if you are only going to use on canals and quiet rivers they are a good entry point and actually have some great advantages eg storage transportation etc
If you are really bitten no doubt you will move on and buy a "proper" canoe but you will still have the fun and convenience of the inflatable and some of them hold good value second hand
One piece of advice though for our purposes you need a two man one to carry your kit
I used to Kayak when I was younger and am now introducing my kids to it and have bought a 2 man inflatable to get them out on the water quickly and easily.They are also safer under good conditions as capsize is difficult
I have no doubt we will be buying an open canoe in the future but gotta clear some storage space first and persuade swmbo which of course the inflatable is helping with as she sees the kids enjoying it so much!!!!
SOTP has some reviews of popular makes

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I just got into it this year and have spent less than &#163;500. I did get a great bargain on the boat which came with 3 paddles and pfds for the kids but did get another couple of pfds, 1 off ebay and one new, I figure I'll have them for a long time. Also got a some misc floating rope etc but the biggest additional expense was buoyancy blocks.

I reckon about &#163;200-300 pounds over the boat price depending on how much bushy kit you can reuse (drybags/waterproofs/footwear etc) and how much you want to make yourself. But as grooveski says, it's addictive, how many of us have only 1 knife or 1 stove or.... :D

Worth it though for days like this;

2447886693_30ccf4d5d3_b.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For a complete beginner Why not look at an inflatable especially if you are only going to use on canals and quiet rivers they are a good entry point and actually have some great advantages eg storage transportation etc
If you are really bitten no doubt you will move on and buy a "proper" canoe but you will still have the fun and convenience of the inflatable and some of them hold good value second hand
One piece of advice though for our purposes you need a two man one to carry your kit
I used to Kayak when I was younger and am now introducing my kids to it and have bought a 2 man inflatable to get them out on the water quickly and easily.They are also safer under good conditions as capsize is difficult
I have no doubt we will be buying an open canoe in the future but gotta clear some storage space first and persuade swmbo which of course the inflatable is helping with as she sees the kids enjoying it so much!!!!
SOTP has some reviews of popular makes

I seriously considered an inflatable, what put me off was the way even a heavy boat like the Discovery, was picked up by the wind when we were on Derwentwater for our first trip out.
Obviously, on canals and quiet rivers, you won't be exposed to the wind in the same way as out on a largish lake, so I would imagine an inflatable would be ok for that. Mind you, a lot of the adventure racing seems to involve inflatable's and they often incorporate coastal waters.
The real issue for me was cost, If I had spent cash on an inflatable, then decided to upgrade, I would have been struggling to scrape the money together to buy the next boat.

Mind you, I'm now looking at keeping my boat in one of the marina's, perhaps on Derwentwater and that's going to cost around £150 a year.:rolleyes:

bestwishes
R.B.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I was going to throw in my comments but w00dsmoke, Groovski and Chainsaw pretty much cover it.

Even if you cannot post on SotP you can keep an eye open for meetups in your area and if you want to PM me here I can let them know you are coming. members are generally happy to take out a beginner and give them some pointers to see if they like it. Beware though such an outing can turn a mild interest into an irresistible urge ;)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've had the same thoughts and recently purchased an inflatable, a Sevylor Colarado for £150 secondhand of Ebay. I bought a double paddle £20 again ebay and both a PFD £60(I wanted one with pockets and a camelbak holder)a single paddle from Kayaks and Paddles here in Plymouth. I've only used it in the upper Plymouth estuary where the pools are nice and deep and there's easy water as I develop my paddling etc. I've been out now 4 times in 3 weeks and am enjoying it looking to cruise from Lopwell down to the Sound. The boat is big enough for me and camping kit but I think I may struggle with another adult, whilst vertically challenged I've made up for it around my middle. I may be moving to Scotland later in the year so I'm hoping to get some more done with the more open rivers and Lochs up there. Well worth the fun I recommend it

Mike B

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2006
Wakefield West Yorks
Don't knock the better inflatables such as the Stearns Backcountry or the Sevylor Ranger,
out of the two I would say the Backcountry is the better and can be had Quite cheaply,both are excellent in a wind as they are fitted with tracking fins.Try here http://www.seamarknunn.com/ProductList.aspx?Category=245
PFD's all have to conform to minimum standards which is 50 newtons of bouyancy for the size of person it is designed to fit, obviously you can pay more for one with more bouyancy or brand name stuff but for the majority 50 newtons is enough.
2 Paddles per paddler in case you manage to drop one. Cheap plastic bladed alloy shafted tnp type paddles are a good starter.
An essential item is a drybag for your spare kit incase you do take a swim.
If you can manage to make it to an SOTP meet you'll receive a warm welcome and can try a good range of boats.
Mike B...

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
SNIP
Even if you cannot post on SotP you can keep an eye open for meetups in your area and if you want to PM me here I can let them know you are coming. members are generally happy to take out a beginner and give them some pointers to see if they like it.

I did, they did and made me welcome, even lending me a canoe! go on dip your paddle.

Beware though such an outing can turn a mild interest into an irresistible urge ;)

Too true, I have a second hand canoe £350; and most of the Groveski list - where can I get a pole from?
Regards
Alan

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
- where can I get a pole from?

An alloy one from the pole shop. You may want to get a helmet while you're there.

Did I mention helmets on the list? There's another twenty quid.:rolleyes:
Helmet, flares, throwlines, vhf radio.:banghead:
By now you're well on your way down the slippery slope, starting to use words like Kevlar and Duluth.

Hope that sense of humour is holding up alright bikething;). You don't need all that, your initial list was right enough.

....it's not uncommon though.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Following on from a thread by Rancid Badger, and having just tried open canoing for the first time, I was wondering what would be a reasonable kit to start with for a solo paddler, and how much I can expect to spend ( ignoring the occassional spectacular bargains that some people find)

I'm thinking :

a paddle...

anything else?

SOLO:
I prefer the old town style boat they are well made and long lasting (I dont have mine anymore only seakayak), nayhow..
A Boat one paddle to paddle with another as spare in case of loss. (also handy for tarp erecting!!). You will need for your self nothing to get started however I never get on the water without a pfd (i would never use a Boyancy aid while paddling solo you could drown!!!)
Roof rack is just a standard roof rack with straps to hold it on. I suggest getting a set of wheels as a canoe can be v ery heavy to lift to and from the water..

Go to a good water sports centre and try some on, with PFD it goes on weight so if your a larger person you need a large pfd to keep you floating!!

Summer paddling thats it really I recommend a good pair of sandles (teva) to get in and out of the boat without slipping.

Winter paddling is differnet and you will need more clothing!

Check www.bcu.org.uk for more information.. and good luck..

Simon
(kayak instructor)

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu

I'm thinking :

a paddle...

anything else?

SOLO:
I prefer the old town style boat they are well made and long lasting (I dont have mine anymore only seakayak), nayhow..
A Boat one paddle to paddle with another as spare in case of loss. (also handy for tarp erecting!!). You will need for your self nothing to get started however I never get on the water without a pfd (i would never use a Boyancy aid while paddling solo you could drown!!!)
Roof rack is just a standard roof rack with straps to hold it on. I suggest getting a set of wheels as a canoe can be v ery heavy to lift to and from the water..

Go to a good water sports centre and try some on, with PFD it goes on weight so if your a larger person you need a large pfd to keep you floating!!

Summer paddling thats it really I recommend a good pair of sandles (teva) to get in and out of the boat without slipping.

Winter paddling is differnet and you will need more clothing!

Check www.bcu.org.uk for more information.. and good luck..

Simon
(kayak instructor)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE