Corrosion on brand new Morakniv Clipper ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
Had another Mora for years with no problems, lately decided to get a new Clipper because....well you know. It's turned up nice and promptly however the blade is a dull grey (This is because it's carbon steel right ??) but giving me more concern is that it has a bloom all over it, the best comparrison is that it looks like it has a metal version of mildew in colour also and nearer the handle it takes on a distinct rust brown hue. None of this 'bloom' has any texture the it doesn't feel like anything on the blade.

Am I missing something or have I been sent a corroded item ??

What can I do about this ??

Thanks in advance - Dan.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If your not happy with it can you not contact the seller and replace it? if it's showing signs of corrosion they may need to look at there storage, not from R,Sunbeams was it?

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
If it doesn't have any texture it should be fine but pics would help. If you're unsure you could use some autosol to polish it up a bit then let it develop a patina again. Or you could clean it up then soak it in vinegar if shiny doesn't do it for you...

If there is a bit of a texture do the above after rubbing it with steel wool. Good luck, they're great knives for the price innit!

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
I asked for it as part of my Birthday presents from the wife so I don't know where she got it and kinda want to keep her thinking everythings fine and I'm glad to receive it.

No pictures I'm afraid as camera's on loan and the usb port on my phone hates me.

Off now to see if it'll clean up, had a brain blank and didn't think about vinegar.

Cheers Guys.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
All carbon steel blades take on a dark grey aspect after a while. This is normal. As long as the blade is sharp and not chipped or damaged then there is nothing wrong with your knife. Most people either let the natural patina develop on the knife with use, or force it with potatoes, vinegar etc. A patina will help protect the blade from rust, but you must keep it dry when not in use.
I generally just rub the knife down with a scourer when its dirty or if after a weekend outdoors if it gets the odd spot of surface rust. The most important part is the edge...which I try to keep sharp at all times.
cheers
Gareth

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It might not be oxidized, it might be the remains of some sort of protective coating. If it isn't a rough layer of loose rust then it should be no problem and I'd expect it to clean off easily. Agreed with Southey it sounds like it shouldn't have been sent out in that condition without some sort of an explanation.

garethw

Settler
Yes agreed they shouldn't have sent it out like that, even if my Triflex is now dull grey it arrived from 'Pyrene Bushcraft' in the South of France, mint and shiney.
But, basically the knife is sound, so you can send it back get a clean one and it will be dull grey in a month or use it as it is.
cheers
Gareth

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
I've never been concerned with the edge it's as they always are, excellent and shaving sharp. Cheers Gareth that answers a few questions, it must simply be very old stock from the supplier and the patina is that of a well used and well loved knife but the knife is brand new, so in some respects I'm incredibly lucky !!

It's had a wee rub down with wire wool and a vinegar bath for a few hours and now has settled back into a more natural look, some of the 'Bloom', must have just been very very fine corrosion.

Agreed, all goods out should be quality contolled, even if it's a quick glance, but hell it's worked out, so I'm happy.

Thanks very much y'all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE