Corroded up lighter - alternatives

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
3,257
48
North Yorkshire, UK
Was away camping on the weekend - just car camping. Chucked stuff in the car, got to campsite. When I opened up the cooking gear the lighter in there was corroded solid. It had got wet when I was out last, a month or two back, but I hadn't left it sitting in water, it was in a dry pan.


damn irritating.


What can I get that doesn't rust up at a drop of water and is good for lighting meths, gas or wood fires?
 
Ultimate Survival Technologies or Windmill make waterproof lighters

but most recently I've been carrying a zippo with a gas insert
 
Bic (or other brands) of disposable butane lighters are inexpensive.
I have scattered a bunch of them through my kit.
Not difficult to find at least 2 of them!
I have a little screw-top metal cannister with neoprene seals for waterproof matches.
 
Two mini bic lighters don't take up much more space than one full size one. I'v had a mini bic in a first aid kit since 2003 and it still works
 
j reckon one corroding that fast has got to be a pretty freak thing. I'm a farmer and i'm always finding lighters i'v dropped in fields months before and the usually work.
If you carry two in two different places you'll almost certainly always have one that works, if only a spark
 
I've got the lighters scattered across my things.
A day or two before our bird seasons open, I go through all the pockets
just to refamiliarize myself with all the silly things that I carry.
Check that the lighters that I do find are still working.

Bic lighters do rot. Galvanic action with different metals? Probably.
Same as with vehicles and boats (eg sacrificial zinc anodes)
Add salt and keep damp.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE