Correct lenght for axe handle

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
I found some old axes. They are beautifully crafted but need a rehandle. Is there any hint about the proper lenght of the shaft? they were replaced with the wrong ones some years ago.

udamiano

On a new journey
I tend to find that for a normal forest axe type; a handle equal to the length of your arm, hatchets about half the length, and chopping and felling axes longer by about 50%. I must say that this is a personnel choice. the best way is to go down the local store and measure the one they have there (try them first for balance and length for your own personnel taste)

Last edited:

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Depends on the weight and the style of axe, and the way you want to use it.

Very, very broadly:

Hatchet - 600g head - 350 mm handle (as low as 300mm, as high as 400mm)

Small axe - 800 - 1000g head - 500 - 600mm handle (as low as 450mm, as high as 700mm)

Big axe - 1000 - 2500g head - 800mm handle (as low as 650mm, as high as 900mm)

Carving axes and broad axes tend to be on short handles - a Gransfors broad axe is about 1500g, 500mm handle.

Have a look at good toolshops and websites to get some ideas, see if local styles of axes were handled in particular ways.

(I was going to post in Imperial measurements, but I see you are in Italy so maybe metric is better for you?)
Cheers

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Thank you very much.They are old but in fully functional. Two of them are small axes for woodcutting and light woodsplitting. The third one is a carpenter's axe for personal use for woodcrafting.

Thanks to the mods for th thread shift!

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
I ask just for another hint. I recently got THIS AXE. The eye is quite narrow and the handle seems to be obtained from a hammer handle. The head is very light

In this case can I use a hatchet shaft reducing the width of the eye end or is it unsafe?

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
That is a Kent pattern hatchet, and I think I can read Chip Chop on the blade, so I think that makes in a Gilpin. I have an Elwell and a Staniforth Severquick Kent pattern hatchet, and the eye dimensions on both are about 48mm long (1 7/8 inch) and 16 mm wide (5/8 inch). I have however seen another Kent with a shorter, wider eye.

As long as the handle is decent wood (hickory or ash for preference) and well fitted, it should be fine.

Cheers

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
And like a fool, I have realised that there are 6 pictures, the last of which clearly shows that it is indeed a Gilpin! The handle looks original, and looks like Ash (fraxinus excelsior I think - no idea what the Italian name is).

Definitely a good user.

Cheers

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
thank you Ian. In Italian is frassino very similar to the latin name. I believed the handle was a subsequent replacement but after your description I think I'll not change the handle. It properly fits and the axe requires only new sharpening

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Yes, if the handle is in good condition and still tight in the eye, there is no need to replace it.

Sharpen the axe up, grind off the burrs (the bits where the steel has been folded over by hammering on the poll - the back of the axe) and enjoy using it.

(Also, thank you for the lesson in Italian I will try to remember that Ash is frassino - as you say, similar to the Latin)

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE