Corned Beef?

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have long been a fan of corned beef whether straight from the tin or made into a chuck- anything-in campfire hash.

However, dealing with the left over tin has led me to leave it out of my pack over the past decade or more and I don’t eat it at home for weight and health reasons (high cholesterol and high fat for camping only).

I recently broke that rule and bought a tin of S&W (since 1896) an American company in California with beef from Brazil. The stuff in the tin is not like what I remember. I remember a tasty mix of meat and fat, with chunks of lean muscle. What I saw and tasted as like a bland puree of meat and fat and god knows what else.

I have bought other (reputable?) brands since and no matter whether the beef comes from Argentina, Brazil or Australia its all similar.

Anyone know what has happened to corned beef since the 20th century ended?

p.s hey its my 1000th post. Finally a Native!

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Or you can make corned beef yourself. The corn part refers to corns of salt. It's a while since I've done it, but I had a piece of silverside in a plastic tub of brine for about a week with some bay leaves and peppercorns. Once cured, I cooked it in the slow cooker.

It was odd, because after all the that preparation, we sat down to eat it and the first thought to enter my head was "it tastes just like [tinned] corned beef!". Very nice though, and very easy to have a go at.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I can confirm if you cut open the tin at the short end you can make a very effective small hobo stove ideal for a steel mug, crusader or a small billy, feed the fire with fine twigs. Works like a dream. Given the shape of the tin, a kind of pyramind, it funnels the heat just like a kelly kettle. Make sure you have a good pile of twigs as it burns very hot and very fast! Very discrete fire, little fuel required and of course wind and rain proof. A sort of self cooking beef stew, using the tin and contents. The paper around the outside burns well, and you can rub some of the fat into it so it burns quicker. When done, stomp tin flat and throw away.

Next time I do one I will post it.

Sandsnakes:)

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
I worked for an Italian family once on their ice cream van and mama used tined corn beef to make spag Bolognese, very tasty... Used to make it myself when I was a poor student...
My wife is still gets it sliced from the deli counter, great on plain bread with brown sauce,
jon

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I worked for an Italian family once on their ice cream van and mama used tined corn beef to make spag Bolognese, very tasty... Used to make it myself when I was a poor student...
My wife is still gets it sliced from the deli counter, great on plain bread with brown sauce,
jon
Forget your fancy baguettes, and your super-subs,;) I think there is nothing better that a corned beef sandwich with spicy brownsauce, on thick white bread. Except maybe corned been hash with mashed potato, with butter and melted cheese. :D

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I can confirm if you cut open the tin at the short end you can make a very effective small hobo stove ideal for a steel mug, crusader or a small billy, feed the fire with fine twigs. Works like a dream. Given the shape of the tin, a kind of pyramind, it funnels the heat just like a kelly kettle. Make sure you have a good pile of twigs as it burns very hot and very fast! Very discrete fire, little fuel required and of course wind and rain proof. A sort of self cooking beef stew, using the tin and contents. The paper around the outside burns well, and you can rub some of the fat into it so it burns quicker. When done, stomp tin flat and throw away.

Next time I do one I will post it.

Sandsnakes:)

What a great idea, I may try that. My wife has strted thinking I'm sane and we can't have that!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I made some 5 or 6 years ago - it was nice and tasted good but was brown (as the recipe said it would be). After being used to eating pink corned beef from tins, a loaf of brown corned beef seemed a bit odd.

And my wife wasn't too keen on the trotters I boiled down to use as the binding for the corned beef.

Geoff

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You have to try hot corned beef from a Jewish deli.

with pickles on the side of course :)

There was a great kosher deli near where I lived, hot fresh bagels at 07:00, fresh cooked, still hot, corned beef at noon,,,,,,pickles,,,,,,,,fresh garlic mayo,,,,,,gefilte fish and black olives,,,,,,happy days :cool:

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I made some 5 or 6 years ago - it was nice and tasted good but was brown (as the recipe said it would be). After being used to eating pink corned beef from tins, a loaf of brown corned beef seemed a bit odd.

And my wife wasn't too keen on the trotters I boiled down to use as the binding for the corned beef.

Geoff

If you use salt petre in the mix with the salt, the pink/red of the meat is maintained. It also reduces the chance of botulism I think when curing bacon etc. You can get it from Ebay I think, or a sausage making suppliers.

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
<snip>
I recently broke that rule and bought a tin of S&W (since 1896) an American company in California with beef from Brazil. The stuff in the tin is not like what I remember. I remember a tasty mix of meat and fat, with chunks of lean muscle. What I saw and tasted as like a bland puree of meat and fat and god knows what else.

<snip>

Is this a cultural thing between the UK and the US? I don't know about corned beef specifically, but I do know that, for example, the baked beans you can buy in the US taste different to the baked beans you buy in the UK. I think that its because the traditional recipies are different in each country.

Either that or you're buying a "value" brand by mistake :D

Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE