Cordura?

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Anyone have any experience of sewing Cordura on a domestic sewing machine. I have a Cordura ex Swedish military backpack, I'd like to make some pouches and possibly a jacket......probably 500/1000 denier.....

Paul

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Cordura is a different brand of Gortex. I dont know if that helps you at all, if you know anything about sewing Gortex?

AFAIK, the two have nothing at all to do with each other; Cordura is a woven nylon that everybody called ballistic nylon early on. Very tough and usually coated with various magic potions for waterproofing and stain-resist qualities.

I've stitched it a few times using both nylon and polyester thread and fitting the machine (206) with a denim needle; it worked well for me but I don't know if that's the 'by the book' method :)

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
AFAIK, the two have nothing at all to do with each other; Cordura is a woven nylon that everybody called ballistic nylon early on. Very tough and usually coated with various magic potions for waterproofing and stain-resist qualities.

I've stitched it a few times using both nylon and polyester thread and fitting the machine (206) with a denim needle; it worked well for me but I don't know if that's the 'by the book' method :)

Yeah, its nothing like goretex, if cordura wasnt coated in waterproofing material/agent it would soak through very quickly.
Most cordura on backpack etc have a plastic lining melted/glued/bonded on.

Use a thick thread and a big needle (denim etc), make sure you keep an eye on needle sharpness as it can blunt them fairly quickly if doing multiple layers with webbing straps etc.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have sewn a fair bit of Classic Cordura, using simple domestic sewing machines, standard sewing thread and 110 needles - no dramas :)
The 1000D is thicker/denser than 500D and the machines I used started struggling at about 6 thicknesses. The same machine was happy sewing 3 layers of polyester webbing.
A sharp needle is essential!
There are a huge number of Cordura variants available (just google "cordura"!) each with their own characteristics (plain, dobby, ripstop, denim, Airflow etc etc etc) so specific techniques for handling each one can vary :)
I do believe that you can even get Cordura with a layer of Goretex laminated onto it...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Decent needles of a good weight, not ballpoints, nylon thread (it shreds thin polycotton I find :sigh:) and it sews fine. I try to keep the multiple layers to a minimum and plan carefully. It's easier to stitch the webbing onto the pieces before the packs are put together.
If you have a roller foot for your sewing machine, it's sometimes useful for things like this.

atb,
M

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk

I have been mis-fed some BS along the line somewhere then, last time I delt with clothing with Cordura in. :eek: :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE