coppicing/pollarding query

Afternoon all
up on the permission i have a range of ash trees available for use as i see fit. i was wondering if i could coppice or pollard them to make some staves for a long term projct i have in mind however most of the trees are quite substantial. is there a cut off point(pardon the pun) as to how large/old an ash can be before it will no longer produce the shoots?
thanks in advance
Sam

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It is not black and white unfortunately. As the trees bark ages then the inner bark and epicormic buds under the surface loose the ability to divide and grow to produce new shoots. How old the bark is when this happens depends on various factors, no doubt there is genetic factor, probably whether the tree is in shade or open ground, how fast it is growing etc. Species is important too, ash coppices reasonably, hazel really well, maple and sycamore very well, beech badly etc. As a very rough guide I would expect all ash less than 5" diameter to coppice or pollard and then a gradual reduction in their viability after that. Years ago I was responsible for creating maiden pollards at Hatfield Forest and we cut many trees varying from 5" of to 24". Most would put out at least some growth in the first year but many of the larger ones would die back in the second or third year. Generally up to 10" or so they got away. We later experimented with gradual reductions and got good results with the larger ones by bringing them down over a period of years.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...i have a range of ash trees available for use as i see fit. i was wondering if i could coppice or pollard them ... most of the trees are quite substantial.

Check with the Forestry Commission before you cut large amounts of timber, there are rules about that sort of thing. See for example

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6DFK86

but be aware that some of the information might be out of date. I see multiple version of the same or similar documents on the Forestry Commission Website.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
That document seems to say that it is NOT illegal (exemptions) to cut down any tree/sapling, that is under 8cm in diameter. Does that apply to public land? Surely not?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
That document seems to say that it is NOT illegal (exemptions) to cut down any tree/sapling, that is under 8cm in diameter. Does that apply to public land? Surely not?

The rules apply everywhere it says they apply. Here in the UK there isn't really any 'public' land in the ownership sense, ultimately it's all the Queen's land. You still need the permission of the land owner (e.g. the freeholder) to fell trees. You can't go around cutting them down without asking just because they happen to be smaller than a certain size.

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
It's been a good 5 years since I applied for an FC felling licence, but I used to do it regularly, and unless the rules have changed then I don't reckon you need to worry about a felling licence. My understanding was that for coppicing and pollarding you didn't need a forestry commission felling licence, as you're not removing the tree and you are using it as root stock for further harvest. Also, for felling actual trees, there was some rule about the quantity of cubic metres of timber you were removing. If you were dropping less than the equivalent of a skip-full, then you were good to go, and didn't require a licence.

The original question: I have always had good results from ash regeneration, when coppicing, pollarding and hedge laying. I've taken 90 year old ash stools right back to root stock before, and had them regenerate nicely. Cover the stools with the brash you cut though, as that'll keep the rabbits and deer out, and let the growth get past the vulnerable tasty stage of growth.

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE