Coppicing - Greenwood Crafts/Timber Production

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello all. Haven't been BCUK in a long time.

I'm currently writing a coppice systems assignment but with an emphasis on timber production for greenwood crafts. I'm wondering if anyone has any more in-depth information on this subject regarding the science of coppicing, stool densities and so forth. Perhaps we could strike up a conversation on coppice management, discuss simple, mixed or standards coppicing and their pros and cons? What do you think?

Cheers.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hi Thoaken, Im no expert, [my grandad was, and I wish I paid attention] but I do have a few books, if you have any specific questions.
A decent book is the encyclopedia of green woodworking by Raymond Tabor.
https://www.bodgers.org.uk/BB/viewforum.php?f=18 is a great resource too.

How about for starters, for hurdle making cut willow in january before the sap rises. Always cut upwards toward yourself, which is why pruning and billhooks are shaped thus.

When Mears etc bend the willow and cut down, to make withies, the stem will always split. This is the wrong way to go about coppicing.

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Hi Thoaken, Im no expert, [my grandad was, and I wish I paid attention] but I do have a few books, if you have any specific questions.

How about for starters, for hurdle making cut willow in january before the sap rises. Always cut upwards toward yourself, which is why pruning and billhooks are shaped thus.

When Mears etc bend the willow and cut down, to make withies, the stem will always split. This is the wrong way to go about coppicing.

First I've heard of this. DO you have an online source that I can do more reading on it. I think coppicing all day it'll get quite tricky to maintain an upswing at a low height to the ground in material of any decent thickness.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We made hurdles for the Crannog centre.
They lasted eight years…which funnily enough is just long enough for the coppiced hazel to regenerate new sticks of a size to use as the 'sails' to make new hurdles :D

M

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
First I've heard of this. DO you have an online source that I can do more reading on it. I think coppicing all day it'll get quite tricky to maintain an upswing at a low height to the ground in material of any decent thickness.

No, buts its absolutely correct mate. No doubt about it.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
We made hurdles for the Crannog centre.
They lasted eight years…which funnily enough is just long enough for the coppiced hazel to regenerate new sticks of a size to use as the 'sails' to make new hurdles :D

M

Arent the endless coincidences that exist in the universe like that just strange!

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
A

Hi guys that's absolutely right I laid hedges for a while many years ago I was taught by a national champion and cutting up the stem leaves a very clean stump your using the very tip of the hook with a sort of flick of the wrist type action you can do thicker stuff but you probably need a double handed Yorkshire style hook.
Talking the smaller stuff first often gives the room to get into bigger stems
Hope this helps
Gary

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
A

Hi guys that's absolutely right I laid hedges for a while many years ago I was taught by a national champion and cutting up the stem leaves a very clean stump your using the very tip of the hook with a sort of flick of the wrist type action you can do thicker stuff but you probably need a double handed Yorkshire style hook.
Talking the smaller stuff first often gives the room to get into bigger stems
Hope this helps
Gary

Thanks Gary. I ha someone somewhere explain that it was about preserving the piece left behind without a downward split and that made more sense as an explanation. Thanks for adding to that. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE