Copper saddler rivets - Best place and price to get from?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yo, as per title, after copper two piece copper saddler rivets for some leather work. Anyone know the best place to get these cheap?

Ebay is like 10 for £3.. or is this normal?

Cheer chaps and chappettes

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Pretty sure "cheap" and "two-piece copper rivets" is a coupling that will end in tears even if one gets them to the Altar that is E-Bay Checkout.

K

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I need the tool to set mine. What is it called so I can search for it?

(Useless searching if you havent a search term...)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I buy them buy the pound (16oz) from either one of two stores which sell horse tack and horse care products (harness leather, fancy studs, farrier's things and so on.) I can buy a box with a mixed range of shank lengths or a box of all one size. I use them as inlay, eyes or decorations, in wood carvings.

When I have used them as rivets, per se, I place the washer over the tapered end of the shank and two hammer taps on a cold chisel at 90* to upset the end.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Le prevo. You can get the tool there too.

They just call it a copper rivet hammer tool.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just to get it clear, the two piece ones are the ones with a solid and a hollow stem you just insert one into the other and whack with a flat face onto another flat face and the centre section bulges out locking them together but what most are referring to here are the rivets and washers which you need a snap and set of the correct stem diameter to put on. I got mine some from second hand tool shops but mainly from Amazon, proper UK made Priory ones are about 7 quid, postage included.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Priory-Rivet-Set-up-Snap-PRI10318/dp/B004EC2PGW

if you are using done headed rivets you also need something with the correct sized dome inset into it, I use something that looks like a oversized centre punch or nail setter but with a polished recess in the end, held in a vice.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I have some ¾" ones and ruves to suit. How many do you need , Sam?

Hey, I'm not sure mate. I was hoping to buy about 30, just so I had more around for later but not at the ebay prices. If you have any going spare you don't need I'm happy t trade with you. :)

Send me a pm with anything you may like in return and I'll have a rummage.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I would like to thank bilmo greatly for his extremely generous pack of 30! copper rivets. Such a true gent. :)

Remember bilmo, if there's anything you'd like, just let me know, I'll do me best to help out and repay the favour.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE