copper rivets

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey all, does anyone here use copper rivets for their leatherwork? I really fancy trying them out as i think they would suit my style a lot more but am unsure about sizes and as they are pretty expensive thought i would pick some brains first.

what sizes do folks use? leprevo are the cheapest to buy from so i would order there they have 3 sizes. i would be using these to go through anything between 8 and 16 mm of veg tan

how good are the results?

any tips would be great cheers

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I have jars and jars of them in different sizes. My father was a shipwright and I assume these were used by him in boat building/repair.

He (and thus I) have always called them rooves, copper nail and a matching domed copper washer. I assume these are what you mean.

I have used them for leather work, jeans repair and thin board fitting. They take quite a bit of skill to fit properly, not as straight forward as you might expect.

Should anybody want to try drop me a PM with your address and I will send a few to try out but please don't expect good results the first few times you use them.

Last edited:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Ive used the LePrevo ones, (a nail and a washer style one) and found them ok to use with a good effect.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
it's the leprevo washer style ones i am looking at, pretty much the same as those too Ian. They do look like some work to get right, but a better overall look for my type of work. I would get the correct tool from leprevo, so whether or not it is compatible with your rivets i am not too sure

reedx

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2012
Durham
www.REEDX.net
Hi Dreadhead

I use the #8 copper rivets from Le Prevo. They're quite expensive at about £24 for 100, but they give good consistent results over the 8-16mm range you are looking for. They take a bit of practice learning to set them with pleasing aesthetic results. I probably wanted about 6 before I go it the hang of it. So much stronger than the tubular variety and they work over a much larger range of material thicknesses. I wouldn't use anything else except in an emergency.

Colin

reedx

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2012
Durham
www.REEDX.net
No problem Hamish.

I've just measured the #8 rivets and the head and washer are both 11mm diameter and very sturdy. I remember looking at the #6 and thinking they were enormous and I'd have very little use for them. The smallest #10 are considerably cheaper and I'll probably add some of those the next time I'm in Le Prevo. All of the rivets are the same length and specify a 4mm punch, but I'd suggest sizing the punch based on the variable rivet stem diameter.

Colin

reedx

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2012
Durham
www.REEDX.net
The #10 should be fine for most applications. I had quick search and converting from inches to millimetres it looks like the head diameter for #8 is about 12mm and the #10 about 10mm. Assuming the sizes are from the same range, Tandy list #9 as heavy duty and #12 as normal use.

Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE