Copper bottom pots - any good in a real fire?

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Hi, this might be a silly question but are there any problems with using a stainless pot with a copper bottom in a real fire? Sure, they're fine on top of the Primus, but how would they fare hanging above a wood fire?

Does anyone have any tips or experience with them, the actual make is unknown although I think they're made by Vango?

I also wanted to drill a couple of small holes and add wire loop handles using bicycle brake cable so I can dangle 'em over the flames. It's quite a nice stacking set too, shame not to make use of it.

By the way, theres a typo on the thread title, should read any not and, curse my fat fingers.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No idea, and I've got those ones too, I've only used them on the catalytic stove.

I'll Mod/ fix the title thread.

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have some Wynnster ones and a real fire plus rough field cleaning has pretty well removed the thin copper coating. They are still good S/S pans though!

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I have a set of copper coated pans and they have held out very well over a fire, I think in time or like John says with cleaning the coating will come off, had mine for 3 years now and they are still going strong.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hi, this might be a silly question but are there any problems with using a stainless pot with a copper bottom in a real fire? Sure, they're fine on top of the Primus, but how would they fare hanging above a wood fire?

copper pots have been used for decades my gran used them on the range which is a open fire and I have some that are least 10 years old and still in use they have been used on all types of fire

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Righto, looks like they'll be perfect for the job then. Thanks for the advice, just need to get busy with the drill and a few bits of steel wire to turn them into hangable pots.

I'm guessing some wire wool for cleaning? I hate those foam scourers and the like.

spamel, I can't find any useful tivets, certainly none as good as the one pictured on wikipedia, besides its just more stuff to carry surely?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The problem with putting holes in pots is that it shortens the depth available for cooking in. These ones aren't that deep anyway......I think I'd maybe think about riveting on little loop handles instead and use them to attach a firechain or bail.

cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Wayland has a great trivet that was very lightweight. It had three legs and two strips of metal for the pot to sit on. Imagine the two strips joined at one end by the first leg, the second and third legs are at the far ends of those strips. When folded it is very thin, and can be packed inside a decent sized pot. Weight is negligible and you won't have to mess about making a hanging device to sling your pot under.

He got his in Norway, the link no longer works and the UK supplier that I did know of is no longer trading, unfortunately. I've had a good look about but to no avail. maybe somebody will know of a good source.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Make a light weight folding trivet from 3 x 8" or for ultra lt wt a set of 4" strap hinges simplly bolt all 3 together with a short bolt and a wing nut
biscuittinbillyandhingetrivet.jpg

It folds right down is very secure needs no metal working skills and costs peanuts!
There is a thread here somewhere that I read and was inspired...cant find it now though.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
That's the kiddy, I think I can manage to make one of those with the tools I have to hand. Once again, thanks to the folk of this forum, cheers John!

Off to B&Q tomorrow then...

By the way, I think I worked out a way to add two d-ring loops to the pot without having to drill them, using stainless cable ties to hold the rings in place, I need to do a few tests first though to make sure they don;t slip when heated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE