COOL new gadget

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Looks interesting for car camping

[video=youtube;l4irb2K1p8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4irb2K1p8E[/video]

Wonder if the battery provide active cooling rather than relying just on ice, would be of more use than a blender i'd have thought.

More details here

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
The blender is what spoils this idea. I would rather a solar panel in it's place keeping the battery topped up or something. Watching the blender in use on that boat made the project look comical.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a tailgate party box.
How does it charge ? and how long does it take to do so ? and how much does it weigh ?
I can't hear the fellow doing the sales pitch.
The prices at the end look kind of scary when added up.

If it does come simple though....yeah, cool toy :D

cheers,
Toddy

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
The blender is what spoils this idea. I would rather a solar panel in it's place keeping the battery topped up or something. Watching the blender in use on that boat made the project look comical.

Agreed on the blender.

Not a fan of portable solar charging, in my experience it's expensive bulky and just doesn't give enough output to be useful.

Still, i like the wide wheels, plate and cutlery storage, separator, phone charger, gear tie down, lid lights and bottle opener ideas.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
It's a tailgate party box.
How does it charge ? and how long does it take to do so ? and how much does it weigh ?
I can't hear the fellow doing the sales pitch.
The prices at the end look kind of scary when added up.

If it does come simple though....yeah, cool toy :D

cheers,
Toddy

No idea on the charging, weight is going to be heavvyyyyyyyyyy, but then it's not really going to be something you're going to be pulling long distances.

Can't see them selling many at that price either, the other thing is if it's THAT heavy that you can't take it far from the car the whole battery thing is kinda pointless as you'll have power from the car.

Like i say though i do like a lot of the ideas for picnics.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not for me. I just used a standard Thermos cooler with ice packs when car camping. Any other time I've got too far to walk with such a bulky and heavy cooler. This is bulky for a cooler. Its bells and whistles don't sell it for me which means it has a lot of wasted volume with all the extras. I want a simple box with a lid and a degree of insulation so the icepacks keep it coolish for a day. Anything longer is a bonus because campsites have freezers where we go. A classic case of just because you can add it doesn't mean you should IMHO.

I've only got so much space in the car to get my camping gear AND family to the campsite. I really would not leave my little nipper behind for the extras this has.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Someones taken a 18v cordless drill and a cooler and combined them.

If they used common removable drill battery packs, could've swapped batteries out for longer trips.

Edit:
Just had the feeling someone somewhere had to made a cordless drill to blender thingamajig

http://www.boatblender.com/

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not for me. I just used a standard Thermos cooler with ice packs when car camping. Any other time I've got too far to walk with such a bulky and heavy cooler. This is bulky for a cooler. Its bells and whistles don't sell it for me which means it has a lot of wasted volume with all the extras. I want a simple box with a lid and a degree of insulation so the icepacks keep it coolish for a day. Anything longer is a bonus because campsites have freezers where we go. A classic case of just because you can add it doesn't mean you should IMHO.

I've only got so much space in the car to get my camping gear AND family to the campsite. I really would not leave my little nipper behind for the extras this has.

Not for me either. B

But it's not for camping. As Toddy said, it's for tailgate parties, family picnics, Beach trips, etc. I wouldn't use most of the gadgets it advertises. The light seems a waste if it's a daylight event, and the most likely venues would already be lighted at night in any case. The blender? Not anymore, but there was a time when it would have been useful making margaritas. The divided interior? That idea is good (and fairly common now) The bottle opener? I like it because I still like bottled soft drinks, but with the near universal canned drinks (and the likewise near universal twist off lids on bottled beer) it seems to ba mostly nostalgia.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Not for me either. B

But it's not for camping. As Toddy said, it's for tailgate parties, family picnics, Beach trips, etc. I wouldn't use most of the gadgets it advertises. The light seems a waste if it's a daylight event, and the most likely venues would already be lighted at night in any case. The blender? Not anymore, but there was a time when it would have been useful making margaritas. The divided interior? That idea is good (and fairly common now) The bottle opener? I like it because I still like bottled soft drinks, but with the near universal canned drinks (and the likewise near universal twist off lids on bottled beer) it seems to ba mostly nostalgia.

The blender appeals if you are into cocktails. I'm not, so I don't think it's something I would find useful. I tend to carry a coolbox when car camping, but I prefer a taller, thinner form factor that fits in the rear footwell of the car.

The bottle opener is useful, I mostly drink beer from microbreweries, which tend not to be screw caps. But if I'm taking beer to a party, I take 5L (~9pt) mini kegs.

I think this is quite representative of many kickstarter projects, nice idea, until you actually think about it. Maybe an product waiting for an audience...

Julia

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The blender appeals if you are into cocktails. I'm not, so I don't think it's something I would find useful. I tend to carry a coolbox when car camping, but I prefer a taller, thinner form factor that fits in the rear footwell of the car.

The bottle opener is useful, I mostly drink beer from microbreweries, which tend not to be screw caps. But if I'm taking beer to a party, I take 5L (~9pt) mini kegs.

I think this is quite representative of many kickstarter projects, nice idea, until you actually think about it. Maybe an product waiting for an audience...

Julia

Yeah, we're mostly on the same page. But most of the micro breweries here also have twist offs. Not all; but most.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Yeah, we're mostly on the same page. But most of the micro breweries here also have twist offs. Not all; but most.

I'm guessing that's a US/EU difference. The only time I've come across twist tops it's been big breweries. I wonder if micro breweries over here actively avoid them to give more of a "craft" image...

Julia

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm guessing that's a US/EU difference. The only time I've come across twist tops it's been big breweries. I wonder if micro breweries over here actively avoid them to give more of a "craft" image...

Julia

Sounds logical. I suspect the reason the ones here use them is that they may be just about all that's available to them.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
That said, I want to use bottle openers for my kitchen drawer pulls

I have one of those on my desk. I have a second one that I will be putting in the living room if I ever finish it.

Sounds logical. I suspect the reason the ones here use them is that they may be just about all that's available to them.

That would certainly make some sense, that said all the US micro brewery beer we've had at work has had normal crown caps. Will have a look in my celler...

Julia

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Usually the instructions "twist to remove" or similar are a give away...

I think there is also a slight thread on the bottle, but I'm not sure. I shall investigate...

Julia

Ahh. I never noticed any thread (but then, I never looked very hard) I do remember the wording though; it's just been so long now, I've stopped noticing. Thanks.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Indications suggest the top of the bottle be different:

crown-photo-original.jpg

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE