Cookset coating?

May 5, 2013
sussex
Hey guys
I've just finished making a lightweight nesting cook set and I wondered if anyone knew of a coating or paint which I could coat the set in to make it more hardwearing and so it all looks nicer and matches, I was thinking somethig like a dura coat but I'm not sure if it would work because of the heat.
Any ideas would be much appreciated
Thanks for your time
Jay

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hi and welcome to the forum...................Most of the posts you read here about coatings on cookware is how to get them off - you need to be really careful, don't have any coatings on the stuff you cook with, you'll poison yourself..............It may be possible to "season" them, depends what they're made from..........Tell us what they're made with and post a few pics, atb mac

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
Hi and welcome to the forum...................Most of the posts you read here about coatings on cookware is how to get them off - you need to be really careful, don't have any coatings on the stuff you cook with, you'll poison yourself..............It may be possible to "season" them, depends what they're made from..........Tell us what they're made with and post a few pics, atb mac

Yes, you'll find that if you put the cookset over a fire of greenwood or oil rich woods, you'll get a tar like substance on them. If you clean this off, you are sometimes left with a dark caramel brown colour to your stainless.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Last edited:

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi, Welcome to the forum. You don't say what material you have used for your cookset. If s/s then you need nothing further. If you have used mild steel then like cast iron you can season it with lard in your oven.

May 5, 2013
sussex
Okay thanks for all your help guys! I might try stove paint or I might just leave it, not sure yet haha
Ill probably post it on here at a later date to see if anyone can give me any pointers or Improvements

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Exhaust manifold paint will reach quite high temps and should stay on for a while.

There is a ceramic paint on the market that will get to 1000c but to be honest, I'd choose fire soot black as its free, self applying and smells of camping in the woods :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE