Cookng Spoon

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I had a bit of time spare this morning, so i grabbed a piece of Hazel from the wood pile, picked up a knife or two and my folding saw and made myself a new cooking spoon, as i have fairly large hands, i like a spoon with a nice wide handle, and this one fits the bill a treat, the spoon itself is about nine inches in length, the bowl is just over two inches at it's widest point and the handle is half an inch at the neck, widening to about an inch and a bit at the top of the handle.

DSCF2371sep.jpg

I elected in this instance to give the spoon a sanded finish and i went down the grades ending up on 1000 grit paper , the spoon then had a couple of coats of Tung Oil that were applied as i watched qualifying for the F1 at Monaco, the spoon saw service this evening, as i used it to make a meat sauce to go with my egg spaghetti, both turned out wonderfully.

DSCF2369sep.jpg

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
You seem to be able to turn out spoons that are not only much much better than mine, they take you far less time to do. Envious/admiring.

Great job again!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
That's an outstanding bit of work!

Do you find that utensils you make like that last OK? Thinking in particular about the way the grain runs at the join between the handle and the bowl of the spoon I wonder are there ways to minimize the risk of splitting in that area if you use wood of a relatively small diameter?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That's an outstanding bit of work!

Do you find that utensils you make like that last OK? Thinking in particular about the way the grain runs at the join between the handle and the bowl of the spoon I wonder are there ways to minimize the risk of splitting in that area if you use wood of a relatively small diameter?

They seem to last a lot longer than any shop bought spon, they also dont stain, the neck of the spoon is really quite strong, although it is very narrow side to side, it's also very deep, hence the spine, it's not only decorative, it's structural and as the vast bulk of forces that work against the spoon work in that plane (think of a canoe paddle) it's works out fine, the side to side forces on the wood are minimal.

I have some spoons ive used for 5 years or more and they are still going strong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE