Cooking with seawater.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Has anyone ever tried cooking rice or pasta with seawater?

I've used it for boiling vegetables from time to time and cut with fresh water about half and half it seems fine.

I'm wondering about how much salt the pasta or rice would soak up though?

My wife, the real cook in the family never adds salt to pasta or rice till near the end of the cooking. If added earlier it can cause things to stick together. I wonder if cooking in sea water would have the same effect? I have cooked mussel etc in it though.:)

Gailainne

Life Member
Gary
from Wikipedia
"On average, seawater in the world's oceans has a salinity of about 3.5%, or 35 parts per thousand, 1 kg of seawater has approximately 35 grams of dissolved salts".

From another site 6g is the daily allowance for men and women.

Its difficult to quantify, your obviously not ingesting the water the food is cooked in, however it will soak up a lot of the salt, from the water, which is 6 times your total daily intake, (assuming a one litre pot)

Not sure what to tell you, apart from take care mate.

Regards

Stephen

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Gary
from Wikipedia
"On average, seawater in the world's oceans has a salinity of about 3.5%, or 35 parts per thousand, 1 kg of seawater has approximately 35 grams of dissolved salts".

From another site 6g is the daily allowance for men and women.

Its difficult to quantify, your obviously not ingesting the water the food is cooked in, however it will soak up a lot of the salt, from the water, which is 6 times your total daily intake, (assuming a one litre pot)

Not sure what to tell you, apart from take care mate.

Regards

Stephen

Some food for thought........

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yep that's about right.

As for the salt absorption into the food then a lot depends how much water remains.

Boiling rice until there is not water left would obviously be a problem.

Boiling spuds is no problem at all.

I always add salt to rice or pasta when I'm boiling so I'm not to worried about using some sea water but the question is what sort of ratio.

I use it 1+1 for veg but I might go to 1+2 or 3 for pasta and rice.

Gailainne

Life Member
Its a difficult question to answer, the only perhaps sure way is to test it, however, as stated normal seawater is 6 times (approx 5.8) your total daily intake of salt.

What we are not quantifying is the amount of salt already in whatever is to be cooked, even if there is no added salt, how much does it absorb in the cooking process, it may be chemically something that absorbs salt readily, rather like hydrophilic substances.

I did a google on cooking with salt water and came up with 0

I have never added more than a heavy pinch to any meal I have cooked using water, what that is as a percentage, shrug who knows, perhaps 3 grams, less than a tenth of the equivalent of salt water.

For that ratio sea water to make food palatable would need diluting x 12 with fresh water.

Food for thought indeed.

Regards

Stephen

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
I've never had any problems cooking with sea water when sailing long distances, always used a 50/50 mix for boiling rice or pasta...for spuds you can get away using more sea water if you're needing to conserve fresh water.

Gailainne

Life Member
I've never had any problems cooking with sea water when sailing long distances, always used a 50/50 mix for boiling rice or pasta...for spuds you can get away using more sea water if you're needing to conserve fresh water.

Interesting, seriously I would have thought those ratios would make food unpalatable. You learn something new every day..thankfully

Cheers for that info its appreciated.

Regards

Stephen

BOD

I tried it for pasta when sailing and it was awful.

1:1 may be edible but you risk ingesting too much and then reduce your water stocks when you drink to quench the thirst.

The test is not one meal but say two days of using salt water this way

Better do 1:3 or more to be on the safe side.

Try it and tell us

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
IIRC in my KonTiki book, Thor and the crew mixed sea water with their (rainwater) fresh supplies, they seemed to have plenty of fresh water, but salt depletion was the issue..

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Mackerel boiled in seawater is a traditional way of cooking - not tried it myself, but I'd have though fish would cope better with the saltiness that starch foods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE