cooking with Burdock leaves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Today i was looking for Burdock to harvest some roots. The leaves are very big and i was wondering if they can be used to wrap your food in when you pit roast it, just like when people wrap their food in palm leaves etc. Has anybody done this before? Is using Burdock leaves safe? Could Burdock leaves transfer toxins into the food?

Many thanks!

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Burdock is one of the many large-leaved plants that was reputedly used to wrap substances like butter, allegedly for transport or storage. The trouble is this is a use recorded mainly by repeated legend and it's hard to find actual substantial written information about it or the method employed.

Burdock (ie: Arctium majus/Arctium lappa) and Dock (ie: Rumex obtusifolius) aren't the same though. Burdock has very large slightly furry heart shaped leaves and dock has much smaller, more oval smooth leaves.

Thinking about it, to wrap food for storage &/or transport I imagine that the leaves would have been blanched or wilted to make them more pliable to begin with otherwise they would tend to snap around the stiffer midrib and stem areas alowing leakage. Although doing so might not be necessary for cooking, it would have advantages - blanching for example makes the leaves damp (so less scorching) and more flexible which means a better seal around the foodstuff so it would be less likely to be contaminated by ash or debris from the fire and juices would be contained.

An oddly enough, I'm about to make some lamb dolmades with the vine leaves from our garden today! :)

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
One of the instructors on the Woodlore course I attended t'other week was using Burdock leaves to wrap a trout to cook over an open fire so I guess he thought they were ok.

Jay

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have used burdock leaves to cover a suckling pig in a hangi.

pig_hangi1.jpg

hangi_before_earth1.jpg

I hope this helps.

Here's a Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtiN77dvugo&feature=related

Aug 6, 2007
Mendip Hills
Burdock leaves, roots and stems are all edible and it'll be fine for cooking with. They have mild antiseptic and diurectic properties, so the only advice is don't eat too much of it (or drink too much burdock beer!)

Cheers

Ady

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE