Cooking on a plane.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cpage677

Aug 21, 2012
northamptonshire
Now I've got your attention I'll expand!!

In July I will be traveling to Sweden on a canoe trip. We are flying to and from Norway as we wish to visit the Olympic stadium (for a wheelbob run and some other sites.) Therefore we are travelling via Norwigian Air.

I understand that gas for stoves is not allowed at all, but I'm unclear as to whether or not I can travel with a stove (and buy gas there.) I have tried to search the website but cannot seem to find the info i require so any help, experience, guidance, pointers would be very welcome.

Thank you.

udamiano

On a new journey
I travelled in and out of Stockholm with a stove in the hold luggage, and no problems. I would however suggest getting a new fuel bottle and pack that with the top undone, so any scan can see the bottle is empty. THe stove should also be flushed through to make sure no residual fuel is in the lines.

cpage677

Aug 21, 2012
northamptonshire
Thank you for your replies,

In terms of flushing (please bear with me) I presume you mean washing in warm water? I just dont want to be in a situation where my stove gets confiscated at customs!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thank you for your replies,

In terms of flushing (please bear with me) I presume you mean washing in warm water? I just dont want to be in a situation where my stove gets confiscated at customs!

Wash the stove in alcohol if using white gas, then smelly soap and leave to dry. If you burn gas, there will be no smell.

Packing the clean fuel bottles with gear and leaving the top off seems to allay their fears too. Pack the pump away from the bottles and stove too and clean this thoroughly.

Vinegar is also great for removing petrol and leaves the stove smelling of vinegar ;)

Last edited:

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
How things have changed. Some twenty five years ago I flew from Tripoli to Heathrow. Four families lit up paraffin pressure stoves in the aisle and cooked their mid day meal. You know how you can get three foot gouts of flame as the stove warms, yes we had them.

I asked the stewardess if it was normal and she said it was and did I want them to cook me something. I declined the offer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE