cooking oil drum stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Evening,

Have spent the afternoon in the shed tinkering with a 20 liter cooking oil drum I got from the works canteen.

I haven't finished it yet but wouldn't mind opinions, faults I have with it are that I think it might need a bigger diameter chimney and it definitely needs more draw from the bottom, ill see if i can get MY dremmel back from a friend and put in better vents at the bottom, and maybe use bean cans for a chimney instead of lager.

Ive noticed that other tipi style tent stoves are raised on legs, i have some old gazebo poles i can mod but wondered the reason for having it off the ground ?

anyhow, took most of the afternoon including a walk to ironmongers for some small hinges and the little hasp thing that isn't really that good, is a first attempt, and they can be easily removed for mk2 when i get another drum, although i might be able to get something usable out of this one.

might spend more time on it tomorrow if i don't goto the woodz instead :D

-The Drum
3313870759_e5849c1612.jpg

-Used Drill and Jigsaw with metal cutting blade to cut out the logo.
3314697254_404416684c.jpg

-While i decided how to attach the door, i had a small test fire and wandered down to iron mongers for some hinges and came back and riveted them on
3313876219_545395bd96.jpg

3313878797_7060365038.jpg

-Can of beer seemed optimal fit for the existing hole at the top, but I think it might need to be more Soup can sized.
3313879327_d77b559d52.jpg

-Test
3313879755_d09c51f63e.jpg

-Soon as the door was shut it starved the fire, put some small holes in the bottom but think something a bit bigger is required.
3314703996_0524994092.jpg

thanks for looking
stoo.

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
for the chimney tescos sell a soup called big soup or giant soup , the tin is about twice the size a bean tin

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
i see that would explain why the lazy sod isnt replying to my calls - seeing as we should now be somewhere slinging our tarps - get out of bed you lazy git ;)

I think the stove looks pretty good stoo - more airflow and should be laughing.

right off to put me grub in me bergen and off

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
As I understand it, stoves are mounted on legs to prevent burning the ground and anything nearby (groundsheet, sleeping pad and bag etc.....).

Raising the firebox also allows for warmed air to circulate and wet wood can be dried by placing it underneath, it also makes for a good hotplate height and I think it may improve airflow.

I am probably the least qualified person to state the above as factually accurate, its just my thoughts on it.

The rivets that you used, were they steel or aluminium?

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I agree with helixpteron about the legs..
A vent of some kind that can be opened and closed would sort the airflow in..
My only concern would be the heat generated can be pretty fierce, would the aluminium can stand up to it, same with the rivets?

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Ive got a multitude of bits and bobs kicking around like mesh and perforated plate if you are needing anyting and im in fife too.
Soloman.

M

moccasintracks

Gauze to me means a bandage for a cut that needs wrapped.

What are you calling gauze, something like hardware cloth or window screen?

Or do you really mean bandages?

Sorry I can't figure that out for my old Alabama self.

Thanks

Jim

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Great minds think alike. I made something very similar, with the same size drum, for our Cornish outing last weekend. We experienced the same problem that when the door was shut the airflow was cut off and the fire pretty much went out. I had already drilled 10mm holes all around the bottom and held the fire off the floor with some steel mesh sat on threaded rod placed through two holes on each side.

We never experienced any significant scorching of the ground even when I took the bottom grill out to allow a good build up of embers at the bottom.

When the fire was going well, Smarvell managed to cook a three pan meal on the 'hot plate'. I also drilled holes in the top to allow for some draw of air from top to bottom but need to increase the size of the holes in the bottom to allow a greater airflow.

I'm going to have a little tinker next time we go to the woods but don't think that legs/feet will be necessary.

Martin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE