Cooking 'Airy' Bannock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
We've probably all got favorite methods for making bannock in its various guises but until recently I'd been looking for a method of cooking a nice 'airy' bannock roll in my 12cm Zebra without getting a quarter inch layer of carbon on the bottom of the 'roll'.
I ended up using an upturned Tuna tin to support the bannock off the bottom of the billy while its suspended over the fire. After 20 mins or so I had a nice 'fluffy' bannock that peeled straight of the top of the tin without any scorch marks - a welcome change.
Seems anything much less than 2" off the bottom of the billy burns the bottom of the bannock.

Anyone else got any 'airy' bannock cooking ideas they might like to share ?

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
KevB said:
We've probably all got favorite methods for making bannock in its various guises but until recently I'd been looking for a method of cooking a nice 'airy' bannock roll in my 12cm Zebra without getting a quarter inch layer of carbon on the bottom of the 'roll'.
I ended up using an upturned Tuna tin to support the bannock off the bottom of the billy while its suspended over the fire. After 20 mins or so I had a nice 'fluffy' bannock that peeled straight of the top of the tin without any scorch marks - a welcome change.
Seems anything much less than 2" off the bottom of the billy burns the bottom of the bannock.

Anyone else got any 'airy' bannock cooking ideas they might like to share ?

nice trick, thanks for sharing!
cheers
Abbe

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Another method not unlike yours acts like an oven,if you put you bread/bannock on an upside down tin and then put a bigger billy over the top, so as to seal the bread inside, you can then cover the billy with embers from your fire and bake your bread.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
As I understand it (and was taught in my yoof)

Make the bannock dough in the smallest of 3 pots.

Place the pot inside the next largest, propped up on 3 pebbles.

Use the biggest pot inverted as a lid.

Bury in pile of embers.

The airspace around the inner pot inhibits burning.

Generally works for me...(actually I usually cook bannock on a flat griddle, thinly rolled as it's quicker)

I often use yeast, too, nicer than soda if you prove it overnight.

Jim.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i wonder if yu filled the main billy with water then put the bannock in the small tin of the zebra on top with the lid on and boiled the water ?
do yu think that would work

1. Clear the hot embers from an area of your fire.
2. Place the upturned lid of your billy can on the hot ground.
3. Place your bannock dough onto the lid.
4. Fit the billy can onto the lid.
5. Place hot coals around the can and on the upturned base of the can.
6. Cook for an average of 20 minutes.

This is the result...

117breadcookedinfire.jpg
[/IMG]

D

Don'tkillbill

Nice, I've heard of this method for cooking turkeys ...Yes Turkeys but uinder a garbage can. I'll give it a try with my mini loaf pans instead of the lid. I saw someone do bread using your method once.

A few more weeks and I can get the dutch oven out and gain some weight!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I seem to remember 'Big Ray' making one, possibly on one of the few Tracks programmes I saw, and he put flour into the bottom of the pot and then placed his bannock on top. I don't know if this was to stop it sticking or to stop the bannock burning on the bottom.

With the zebra billy, you could use the inner pot to give standoff from the embers, put it on the embers upside down, place the bannock on the top of the upturned dish and then the billy over the top. I will have to give it a whirl to see if it will work. Saying that, my bannock leaves a lot to be desired, even after the tens of recipes I have gleaned from here!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE