Cook them slugs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
according to those in the know, slugs will eat many poisinous fungi and build up or at least store the toxins in their bodies, these toxins may not be rendered harmless by cooking. :shock: :-? this doesn't apply to snails.

so this time of the year when 'shrooms abound, slugs should be off the menu cooked or not.

cheers, and.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Hi there Chris
Nice to see you over this side of the pond...No grizzlies or whatever to worry about here, although there has been some talk of pumas etc......

Justin

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
these toxins may not be rendered harmless by cooking. :shock: :-? this doesn't apply to snails.

The big fat snails the Romans brought over make good eating, but remember there are poisonous snails here in the UK.

Bear

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
:shock: Well, I've looked through my books and I've spent a while on the internet but I can't find any reference to poisonous snails here in the UK.
We were taught that snails with brown and white shells were poisonous. I have always believed this and never had cause to question it until now.
Oh well, we live and we learn - cheers.

Bear

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
:shock: Now I'm really confused :shock:
Has anyone got a copy of "How to live off the land" by Chris McNab?
In there it says "to avoid snails with bright coloured shells as they can be poisonous" (I've paraphrased here).
This is what we were told in training - except our poisonous snails had brown on the shells too. Is it only army guys that think some UK snails are a double bagger?
I hope there's a snail expert on the forum that can put me out of my misery. :-?

Bear

F

FJS90-91

If I’m not told incorrectly, one should keep away from snails because even those who are eatable contains parasites that need long preparation to completely remove..

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
With both slugs and snails you need to be certain that they haven't been eating anything that they like but thatis poisonous to humans. The best way to do this is to collect them and either starve them for 24 hours or feed them of know safe material for that time ... then add them to the pot!

Mar 2, 2004
i think im going to boak[irish for vomit],im sorry but i think id rather eat treebark than those slimy b***ards.honestly i would need to be STARVING with a belly full of grass first.
can you tell i have a phobia about invertebrates???
yuk yuk yuk. give me snotters instead,,,,,,,,MMMMmmm ,,,,,snotters.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
All I can say is that hunger is a powerful motivator and something that you wouldn't dream of eating when you have a full belly seems like a delicacy when you're really, truly hungry. :-D

Mar 2, 2004
understood m8,
i know its all protein but i,ll never be in that position.if i am i,ll sharpen a stick and skewer a sheep somewhere.i think you would need to be in a desperate,situation and realistically i cant see it happening where slugs will be the only food source.
lol by all means eat them if you like ,i know its important to try new things.
bucket please.....
:oops:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
The nice ( :-D ) thing about slugs, worms and insects is that most don't need a great deal of chasing. If you can't move for some reason (accident), then things that crawl and wriggle slowly might be the olny things you can outrun! :shock:

Mar 2, 2004
have you really eaten them?
BLEEEAAAAUUUCCCCHHHHH
WHERES THAT BUCKET?
now on the other hand, im quite partial to some squid.which itself is quite unpalatable to some.
i just aint eating them .or snails.by the way someone told me you cant eat maggots because of the ammonia in them,is that true?i dont mind maggots.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
the naughty boy said:
i know its all protein but i,ll never be in that position.if i am i,ll sharpen a stick and skewer a sheep somewhere.

A hardarse ex pathfinder was telling me a story the other day about some training he did on Dartmoor. They hadn't eaten for 3 days and 3 of them were sent out to get some food. They found a flock of sheep and spent about an hour chasing them around. They finally got one and one of the paras was given a knife to cut its throat. He couldn't do it. And the next, the same. None of them could do it. The sheep looking into their eyes and 'baaing'. In the end they went to the nearest pub and had a pint and bought some crisps with the money they had sewn behind their belts. They went back to the shelter and told everyone they hadn't find any food. They spent the rest of the night trying to suck crisps! :-D

Mar 2, 2004
lol.id have been eating mutton that night.im not a hardman but i think the sane thing to do is eat the sheep.i remember being out with a "friend" shooting rabbits with our air rifles.he shot one but it didnt kill it.when we got over to it i told him to lift it and chop its neck at the back to dispatch it quickly as im not into needless suffering[by the way a farmer asked us to clear some of the rabbits]anyway... he couldnt do it.he wouldnt even lift the little blighter.i thought to myself that if this pussy couldnt take responsibility for his shooting then he shouldnt be at it! i killed the rabbit and gutted it in front of him .the steam rising from the rabbits belly almost had him emptying his own stomach,so to help him along i reached in and popped a little warm kidney in my mouth. lol i can still hear him puking and wretching .i think the point im making is that your body needs protein and also that the ability to kill your own food is essential to survival and bushcraft......but im still not eating slugs[i dont kill them either]

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
I like the story about the Para's and the sheep. :-D It's a good job they didn't try to despatch the sheep in that way - there would have been a heck of a mess. We used to say, 'only two things fall out of the sky...I won't finish it out of respect for any Para's that might be around :wink:
Did he mention how the lads got on with the live chicken?

Bear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE