Considering an m90 parka and trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikaelMazz

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
The United States Of America
I was looking for an outer layer to put over my other clothes when I am not moving. The m90 parka and tousers seem nice but I am worried the parka will be to long. I seen a few threads on the m90 but it is hard to find a picture of anyone actually wearing it.
I would appreciat it it if some one who has one would post a picture of themselves wearing it. I think it would help me deside.
Also I was wondering how packable the parka is. How small can it fold up?
And one more question, How resistand to sparks is it?
Thanks

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Google is your friend ;)

Link to images of M90 parkas

The new ones will squash into their hood. The older ones with an insulated hood have a thicker material and are more spark resistant. The new ones are thinner polycotton. You can''t take the P with them but much better than pure synthetic.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
For the price I think the M90 parkas are a steal. The older version is probably a better piece of kit, but the newer (foldaway collar version) is significantly lighter, and probably more "presentable" as an everyday parka.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
A vote for the older style with padded hood :-luxury for around camp in a range of winter temperatures suitable for europe/usa .Good water resistence so ok for above zero temps/rain wet snow.Has big pockets , good for big mittens etc. Overall fairly durable , not very spark resistant but very good value, so could be easily replaced if damaged (mine was unissued quality for £15) trousers the same for about £12 .Trousers can be put on over boots etc due to zips up sides also good for venting purposes or even toileting purposes.Jacket is just above knee length on me but comes in different lengths /sizes so check a military size convertor chart for swedish size equivalents.The swedes are quite big built! i wouldnt worry to much about presentability as there is so much commercial /fashion stuff out in military styling and there are no really overt clues other than the green colour to show its ex mil kit - not like its in flectarn /dpm/ alpenflage!

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I am open to suggestions if there is something you would reccomend.
Thanks,

Down jacket, or synthetic puffy jacket, and dito pants. Just wear them under something more fire resistant when close to a fire. Much much warmer per pound. I have used the m90 system when I was in service and they are ok if your in a mounted unit. Otherwise they are too heavy for what they are. They are getting replaced for the light infantry and ranger units now, and that is for a reason.

I like my mountain equipment light line and their syntetic jackets. But alpkits filo seems to be good value and performance.

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
Agree with Big Swede 100% I come from a military and mountaineering background - get yourself either a decent down jacket or something synthetic if you might get wet. For fires chuck a nice windproof cotton smock over the top and your set.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Down jacket, or synthetic puffy jacket, and dito pants. Just wear them under something more fire resistant when close to a fire. Much much warmer per pound. I have used the m90 system when I was in service and they are ok if your in a mounted unit. Otherwise they are too heavy for what they are. They are getting replaced for the light infantry and ranger units now, and that is for a reason.

I like my mountain equipment light line and their syntetic jackets. But alpkits filo seems to be good value and performance.

Totally agree- nothing better than the lightweight technical fabrics- just cover them with a surplus jacket and your good to go. Only thing about down is when its wet, you lose all the insulation, if this bothers you go for primaloft- retains about 98% of your heat even when soaked but it isn't quite as warm as down, but fine when layered with a fleece etc. Rab is another good brand to look at, I'm currently living in my Rab Photon Belay jacket! ;)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Totally agree- nothing better than the lightweight technical fabrics- just cover them with a surplus jacket and your good to go. Only thing about down is when its wet, you lose all the insulation, if this bothers you go for primaloft- retains about 98% of your heat even when soaked but it isn't quite as warm as down, but fine when layered with a fleece etc. Rab is another good brand to look at, I'm currently living in my Rab Photon Belay jacket! ;)

When it's cold enough for down, getting wet is a non-problem! :)

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
When it's cold enough for down, getting wet is a non-problem! :)

No so sure there! Plenty of times when I've been out in freezing rain/sleet and needed a down jacket but had to put my waterproof on over the top! :) Granted when your moving around it can be too much but when sitting they are invaluable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE